News that drew the most traffic on the School Bus Fleet website this year covered a cash incentive based on attendance, Collins’ new low-floor bus, and student fatalities in the danger zone.
Here are the five most-viewed news items of the year, with links to the full stories.
1. District Cuts School Bus Driver Absenteeism With Attendance Bonuses
Jefferson County (Ky.) Public Schools started a pilot that pays school bus drivers and assistants a $200 bonus for every pay period they come to work every day to address driver shortage and absenteeism.
2. 11 Students, School Bus Driver Hospitalized After Semi Hits Bus
A semi tractor trailer in Indiana struck the driver’s side of the bus and pushed it off the road. Students and the bus driver were treated for injuries.
3. Video Captures Car Passing School Bus on Right Side
Greenville County (S.C.) Schools shared footage of a bus driver keeping students out of the path of a car as it sped along the shoulder on the right side of the bus.
4. Collins Launches New Low-Floor Bus
The bus, built on the Ram ProMaster chassis, is designed to enhance accessibility with an integrated wheelchair ramp.
5. 4 Kids Killed in School Bus Danger Zone in 2015-16
Three of the children were fatally struck by school buses, while one student was killed by a passing vehicle.