Safety

Prosecutors Allege School Bus Driver in Fatal Tennessee Crash Was on Phone

Posted on December 20, 2017
New information indicates Johnthony Walker, the school bus driver charged in a fatal November 2016 crash, took a phone call at the time, prosecutors say. Photo courtesy Chattanooga Fire Department
New information indicates Johnthony Walker, the school bus driver charged in a fatal November 2016 crash, took a phone call at the time, prosecutors say. Photo courtesy Chattanooga Fire Department

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Prosecutors alleged on Tuesday that new information indicates a school bus driver charged in connection with a November 2016 crash that killed six children took a phone call at the time, Chattanooga Times Free Press reports.

As previously reported, Johnthony Walker allegedly was speeding and lost control of his bus, which left the road and hit a utility pole, overturned, and crashed into a tree, causing the roof of the bus to collapse inward. In addition to the fatalities, 31 children were injured in the crash, and Walker received minor injuries. He was indicted on six counts of vehicular homicide, and was also charged with four counts of reckless aggravated assault, one count of reckless endangerment, one count of reckless driving, and one count of use of a portable electronic device by a school bus driver.

The updated information comes from the National Transportation Safety Board’s (NTSB's) review of Walker's phone records, Melydia Clewell, spokeswoman for District Attorney General Neal Pinkston, told the newspaper. Pinkston said in court that Walker received a call at 3:17 p.m. on Nov. 21, 2016, which lasted nearly four minutes. He added that the first 911 call about the crash came in at 3:20 p.m., according to Chattanooga Times Free Press. According to previous testimony in December 2016, Walker had his phone out on the bus at some point, but until Tuesday, prosecutors had not alleged when or how Walker used the device, the newspaper reports.

The NTSB’s report may change as officers make suggestions internally. NTSB spokesman Christopher O’Neil told Chattanooga Times Free Press last week that the NTSB will vote to release the final report at a public hearing, which is tentatively scheduled between April and June.

Judge Don Poole said no phone records will come into evidence until attorneys have a hearing on the issue. He scheduled the hearing for Feb. 5, according to the newspaper. Walker is scheduled to stand trial on Feb. 27.

To read the full story, go here.

Related Topics: distracted driving, fatalities, school bus crash, Tennessee

Comments ( 2 )
  • Rick

     | about 24 days ago

    They have a lot of charges against this driver already. How can they add more to what is already there? I do not understand how the courts are able to charge someone with several charges that are the result of an incident that was not of malicious intent and then continue to addd more charges to the list. If they add the use of a cell phone by the driver of the school bus, would that be the root cause of the accident, therefore the only one that could be properly prosecuted. Also if the phone records may not be admissible in court dependent on the lawyers and the judge, then why could the papers print the information if it may not be relavant to the case? I have been a school bus driver for thirty plus years and everyday I leave home with the bus I fear of making a mistake and being hung out to dry.

  • See all comments
More Stories
Product

Mirror, Backup Camera System

The new MOR-Vision convex series is engineered to improve the safety of reverse operations by providing a wider field of view, according to Rosco Vision Systems.

A story on Jefferson County (Ky.) Public Schools' pilot program that pays school bus drivers and special-needs assistants a $200 bonus for every pay period they come to work every day received the most likes and reactions on SBF's Facebook in 2017. Photo by John Horton
News

Top 5 Likes/Reactions on SBF’s Facebook Page in 2017

Stories on a cash incentive based on attendance, a principal/substitute bus driver studying for his doctorate, and an accident that hospitalized students and a bus driver drew the most attention on the popular social media platform this year. 

Venecia Bisono of New York was arrested after allegedly leaving a 4-year-old on a school bus for six hours. She was charged with failure to exercise control of a minor and reckless endangerment. Photo by John Horton
News

Aide Accused of Leaving Student on School Bus

Venecia Bisono of New York is arrested after allegedly leaving a 4-year-old on a school bus for six hours. She is charged with failure to exercise control of a minor and reckless endangerment.

A news story about Collins' new low-floor bus with an integrated wheelchair ramp was the fourth most-viewed news story on the SBF website this year.
News

Top 5 Most-Viewed News Stories of 2017

News that drew the most traffic on the School Bus Fleet website this year covered an attendance-based cash incentive, Collins’ new low-floor bus, and student fatalities in the danger zone.  

An article about purchasing a used school bus was the most-viewed feature on the SBF website this year. Photo by Barry Johnson
News

Top 5 Most-Viewed Feature Articles of 2017

Feature articles that drew the most traffic on the School Bus Fleet website in 2017 included tips on buying a used school bus and an immigrant’s journey from cab driver to running a school bus company.

Dean Transportation's video on the use of virtual reality technology to supplement training and provide more of a “real-world” experience was one of the standout videos posted on SBF's website in 2017.
News

Editor’s Picks 2017: Videos of the Year

A demonstration of virtual reality technology used in training and a PSA with kids playing motorists who passed stopped school buses were among SBF’s web highlights in 2017.

Be the First to Know

Get the latest news and most popular articles from SBF delivered straight to your inbox. Stay on top of the school bus industry and don't miss a thing!