TULSA, Okla. — Nearly 100 school bus drivers from across the U.S. and Canada gathered here last weekend to prove their skills at the 2013 School Bus Driver International Safety Competition.
In the competition, hosted by the National School Transportation Association, a few familiar names drove their way to the top spots.
Larry Hannon of Pennsylvania placed first in the conventional category — his ninth win. Antonio Perez of California won the transit category for the second year in a row.
Here are the top competitors for the three categories:
Conventional (Type C)
1. Larry Hannon, Centennial School District, Warminster, Pa.
2. Billy Wiseman, Kanawha County Schools, Charleston, W.Va.
3. Michael Graham, Cobb County School District, Marietta, Ga.
1. John Labus, Cabell County Schools, Huntington, W.Va.
2. Mary Slate, Kanawha County Schools, Charleston, W.Va.
3. Russell Altizer, Montgomery County Public Schools, Christiansburg, Va.
Transit (Type D)
1. Antonio Perez, San Dieguito Union High School District, Encinitas, Calif.
2. John Welsh, Lower Merion School District, Ardmore, Pa.
3. Catherine Francis, Beaverton (Ore.) School District