Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 MAXXFORCE DT466 FUEL PRES.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have 2010 maxxforce dt466 , you can drive this bus 5 miles then it dies, get out pump it up and run another 5 miles. we have replaced all of those little hot wheel looking orings and primer pump and filter housing. we also pressurized it from fuel tank and looked for a leak under and around engine in bus. No leaks. let bus run in yard and will stay running all day. so just under load. replaced filters also. we us Baldwin filters and never had a problem. someone once told me there is small electric lift pump on these???5 to 10psi any idea where this is???

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  11:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the bus is a 2010, the emissions year may still be a 2007. The lift pump is right under or attached to the HPOP I believe. If it has the primer button, it is probably a manual lift pump (don't quote me on that). Have you had any plastic chunks in the filter housing? The pumps tend to break a check valve in there i think.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
International : MAXXFORCE DT 210HP/2600 GOV EPA 07, 210 HP @ 2300 RPM, 560 lb-ft Torque @ 1400 RPM, 2600 RPM Governed Speed, # 2 Bell Housing
( 0012NUA )
replaced the complete filter housing also
and yes the manual pump that we keep using to pump it up also was replaced. we have had issues with those also. I think I will have our guy just tow it here to this yard. he is 43 miles from me. would be a pain every 5 miles crapping out then pumping up.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  12:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, so the 07 emissions have a manual lift pump that i believe operates off the HPOP, think back to the 444s that had the lift pump in the valley. If you have found any plastic chunks in the filter housing, it is from the fuel pump. I know you said the primer pump was replaced, but i'm talking about the fuel pump itself. Other than that, i would look for a restriction in the tank maybe some sort of debris clogging the pick up tube.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for info. I will call him and have him check.
Go to Top of Page

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  6:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the fuel lift pump is always a suspect, but air pockets bleeding back into the fuel filter housing from bad injector(s) would cause the issue... we've also had one when the fuel tank was replaced and the vent tube was never re installed ontop of the tank, causing a vacuum on the fuel system... any codes?
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  7:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How it die? does it shake before die? it dies when driving or idling? engine light came on? any code? there are lot reason cause engine shut down, not just fuel problem.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  03:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vent tube is ok ,had to block it off when we pressurized tank.

They tell me no engine light comes on.

Waiting for them to bring bus here still. Its at 1 of our other yards.

Also thanks for the post remind me to call and find out what's going on.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2010 should be maxxforce 9 or 10 or DT the fuel pump is right in front of the fuel filter, three little bolts hold it in and a six wire plug on top(I think) and a 2 wire sensor in the bottom, and pressure should be around 70 psi at key on it is audible till it meets pressure
dt466 and dt466e are a simple lift pump off the HPOP (7-14 psi) if it is a DT

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  05:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we blew the fuel line backwards with air, and now it runs, my guess is something on the pickup in the tank. maybe tank is starting to rot from inside out. Or something got put in the tank that's not suppose to be there. Like the plastic cap from a diesel fuel additive bottle or a Dorito bag like we found in another IC tank.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000