Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Off road diesel use
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, anyone using red dyed diesel in their school buses? Boss just started getting it and I wonder if it is much different than regular diesel. I heard it has more sulfur, would that hurt anything? Thanks for the replies.

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  3:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here in Colorado, the only difference is the fact one is taxed at a different rate than the other . State patrol will check your diesel color, farm vehicle's, and off road can run the less taxed fuel, but on the highway vehicle have to have the regular taxed fuel. It is the same fuel, just a dye they add to the fuel, nothing more.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  5:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Muddy’s right on. The dye is the only difference.

I was not aware school buses could run ORD?

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  02:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here, if you get caught using that on-road (and they do random roadside checks), you pay $1000 or $10/gallon in fines, whichever amount is greater.
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  04:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24 is spot on...

The dyed fuel enforcement program was launched in 1994 by the government of the United States. It is run by IRS. Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double. After the first violation, each repeated one will increase a penalty by $1,000 compared to previous violation, so the total amount of penalty depends on the number of violations. Alaska is the only state having special regulations about dyed diesel, which allow to avoid the fine in some cases.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  05:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

Muddy’s right on. The dye is the only difference.

I was not aware school buses could run ORD?

-Scott

In Iowa, public school districts are tax exempt and can legally use dyed diesel fuel, otherwise they can use taxed fuel and file the paperwork for a refund.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  07:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know it isn't legal to use dyed fuel in a school bus in my state.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  07:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked online for rules for this but they are all pretty vague. But, it does make sense that you can run a dyed fuel if you are a tax exempt organization. However, in my state, we pay some tax just not all.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  07:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like Iowa is like KY in that the fuel provider does not tax the district but it is not supposed to be off road fuel?
“We start working on our legislative package early in the year and about the time we were working on this we were seeing fuel prices at $4 a gallon and above and that just kind of sparked the idea that maybe this was something we needed to take a look at,” she says. Diesel fuel that’s not taxed is to be used for industrial and agricultural vehicles that do not traverse the state’s roads and streets.

“It’s always a problem. There are always people (who) want to circumvent the system,” she says. “But it was the anticipation that the higher costs could lead to increased noncompliance and fraud.” The bill also enhances penalties for trying to impede inspectors from checking for improper use of the fuel.

Diesel reserved for off-road use is dyed red. The diesel fuel used in school buses isn’t taxed either. According to the latest information from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, diesel fuel for on-the-road vehicles was selling for an average price of $2.18 a gallon in the middle of May.

The state tax on a gallon of diesel is 22.5 cents. Those caught using red-dyed diesel in an on-the-road vehicle used to face a $200 fine for a first violation. That penalty will now be $500. The penalty for a second violation doubled to $1,000.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  08:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in California and up until last year we always used the red diesel. I agree that it is the same thing only dyed red and not taxed. Now we have had to switch to renewable diesel.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  3:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are in CA also and ran red dye for a few years. We had to track gallons used and pay the tax. If memory serves, we were on the hook for the feds, but state exempt. The fuel was the same.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Muddywater, what part of Colorado are you in? I'm just south of Colorado Springs.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  3:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
aaronwilmoth, I am up here in Meeker. It's about in the center of the Northwest quadrant of the state, 40 some miles north of Rifle.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  03:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure where you are but you do need to worry about how much BIO is used in your diesel if it gets cold there. Have a town here where they think they are saving by adding 5%to 10% BIO and cant figure out why there plow trucks and equipment will not run when it gets below freezing. when we pull the filters on the buses its like someone filled it with Crisco. We have to fill at there pump. Wish I could add pic here but I don't see how to???
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  06:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We run Off-road fuel up here in MN (we are school district owned), and run straight #1 fuel from November-mid March. NO fuel issues, other than lack of power on warm days.

off-road fuel up here has NO BIO in it, and yes- ALL diesel fuel is now ultra-low sulphur.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000