Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2012 IC Driver/Defrost blower stops intermittently
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmmiller@oldfortschools.org

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmmiller@oldfortschools.org's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2012 IC CE maxxforce DT that has a intermittent driver/defrost blower fan failure it likes to quit 3/4 way thru her route then start back up when it gets anywhere near the shop making it impossible for me to diagnosis it b/c I can not get it to fail in the shop. The one time that it failed in the bus line up in the AM I smacked the side wall where the blower is and it took off and worked for a week now she says it fails almost every morning and then eventually will start back up. Thought I had it pinned down when I found the connection at the blower was not very healthy so I corrected that and then the sickness came back. So I am starting to think it maybe a thermo switch in the motor I do know that the heat that does come from it is very warm compared to other buses. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  08:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a circuit breaker blowing, and then it resets it self.
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're on the right track with the internal thermal switch. I wouldn't think twice about putting a new blower motor in it.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a rectifier in there with the fan motor (like an old ford) and the connector for the fan s u c k s

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years

Edited by - Bluenozer on 01/17/2019 08:32:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC's are famous for melting the connect after the heater switches. Remove the switch panel and follow the harness from that heater to the next connector. There is usually and bank of them together. If I'm thinking of the correct year.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2019 :  04:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm betting its a connector also. I had a rear heater motor do the same. Ended up being the connector at the motor. Its a three wire connector made in a triangular shape with only one retainer. Mine looked to have separated on the side away from the retainer due to gasket force on the two halves which heated up the wire terminals and blackening the connector halves. Not a very good design for a load like a heater motor!! I pulled the terminals out of the connector, slid em back together, silver soldered and shrink tubed them.

I HATE WORKING ON HEATERS!!!

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41576

Edited by - CISDbusman on 01/18/2019 04:06:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000