Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 99 IH 3800 7.3L w/AT545 whining only at highway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tp79557

2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  05:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tp79557's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!
I’m needing a little help diagnosing a problem. Our church has a 99Intrrnstional 3800 with the 7.3L and an Allison AT545. Recently is started making a whining noise only at highway speeds and high RPMs. If I’m going down the highway and it does it, I can shift it into neutral and it goes away. So it only does it in gear. If I feather it then it doesn’t happen until I’m in 4th gear at around 45 mph or above. Sitting still I can’t make it recreate the sound. I’ve put belt conditioner on the belt and penetrating oil on pulleys and it still does it. I know the transmission is going out wilhich I suspect is where it coming from. Anybody have any insight? I would greatly appreciate it!

Trent

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  07:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just a shot in the dark , but you may want to check the driveshaft center support bearing for wear if it has one and make sure the driveshaft is phased properly they can cause a whirring type noise if removed for tow or something and reinstalled incorrectly .
Go to Top of Page

tp79557

2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  09:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit tp79557's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

just a shot in the dark , but you may want to check the driveshaft center support bearing for wear if it has one and make sure the driveshaft is phased properly they can cause a whirring type noise if removed for tow or something and reinstalled incorrectly .

Didn’t think of that, worth a shot though. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Poolguy7250

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a T444E or a 7.3 non turbo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000