New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  06:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am pretty sure i wrote about this before but cant find it i have this bus with a def quality light on it happened about 6 months ago and i did a ecm update and it fixed the problem until today it came on again i tried draining and putting fresh def but still comes back on anyone have this problem before and is the quality sensor part of the pump head?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure how it compares, but in the IC's the DEF Quality sensor is in the tank with the Level sensor- and IC has had TONS of issues with these the last couple years. I have 2 trucks that have had 16 DEF QLS sensors between them in the last 14 months...
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The C-2's DEF quality sensor is in the head of the tank
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i thought the hole head would have to be replaced but i cleared code last week and put bus on a route i came back this morning with a different code 3582 i been doin some research and have been reading that the scr on 2010 to 2012 been having problems and they have to be replaced with an updated scr and wiring harness saying something about if it has an ammonia sensor then thats one of the ones that needs to be replaced thing is i cant find anything telling me where that ammonia sensor would be but have u guys heard of this and would u know where that sensor would be?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3582 is for nox conversion , the output nox sensor(outlet of scr) is reading too high compared to inlet nox(outlet of turbo)
this unit a cm2250 still has the def controller under the step , big issues with harness which feeds the def controller, check 1.5" back from "y" in loom right before the controller you will find 5 power wires going to one wire and the heat shrink might look good but you will find green here(same as 2012 and up IH buses which have the Bosch ecm on frame behind drivers seat)
You wil find that most cummin calibrations are set to expand parameters for codes don't happen, bet there's an other calibration for this bus lol)
2015 and up IH buses with the ISB throw the def quality code
hope this helps ( at the stealership we never replaced the whole scr on any cummins for a code, damage yes

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will check that i did an update calibration back when the def quality light first came on and it stayed out for bout six months and like isaid i came back on last week and there was another calibration avalible so i did the update but now the quality light is out but thr 3582 code is present i will check the harness and go from there
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3582 alot of the time you will find nothing wrong , do all the tests and everything will check out
this can be caused by air bubble in def causing outlex nox not to drop in so many seconds after it was injected , when yo actually look at all the parameters for aftertreatment you would notice a domino effect ( everything happens in a sequence and if one little thing is out then the logic ladder falls apart)

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  04:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i have a little time to work on this one now its crazy here i am one guy workin on 150 bus fleet with one help uggggg but antway are u talking about the y off the tcm where the trans harness come todether with the controller wires right under the buster pump there is a y and go up to fame by the exhaust is that the area i need to check it is strrapped tight and taped good just wanna make sure before i take all the brackets off

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 11/06/2018 04:36:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  08:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its under the booster pump but the "y" is in the ATD harness (the two harnessess after the "Y" just go to the def controller) and yes other parts of this harness goes to def pump,def tank, and along frame to dpf and scr sensors

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i finally had time to check the harness it took forever to get thru all the tape but i found two black with whit tracer wires heat shrinked to 5 black with white tracer wires they are ground tho GRND1206 is that the wire u are refering to
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see it now it was hiding it looks ok so u are saying even thought it looks ok tho redo the connection ?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  08:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would but I live in canada so we have salt in the air, salt on the winter roads and new for the last 5 years they spray a salt water solution(brime) on our winter roads so I'm used to corrosion
And yes there should be two groups like that one for power ,and one for the grounds .
When I was at the stealership , I was replacing this ATD harness left ,right , and center on C2 buses, and I know these power wires don't go to the header harness(tank gauge) but its good to check , also seen the harness which goes to def tank rub at the body out riggers too

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  09:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah we have that brine crap here to it ***** but i pulled the heat shrink off and the wires look clean no corrosion so i was thinkin it is good i was thinkin of sprayin some lacquer electrical wire protector on it and re heat shrink it and check for other rubs is that harness expensive if its no i will just replace to be safe
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure on price of the harness . even the new harness I've replaced they did not fix the heat shrink issue always better to fix itself then you its golden!(unless under warranty,then go the free route)

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i repaired the harness and cleared codes so far so good gonna put on route monday and see what happens
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000