Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ic new emergency window latch problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  03:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 9 2017 ic buses and have had a problem with the window buzzers going off going down the road. Mostly the first one on the passenger side. The handle is slowly opening going down the road sent to dealer they kept bus for 3 weeks, lubed the handle sent back bus still doing the same thing according to the driver happening over 10 time in a route. Has anyone else ran in to this problem? It is happening on all 9 buses some worse then others but all have reported the same thing

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  04:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, have them open a case on it with Navistar. They should know what that means. They ended up replacing the windows in one of mine, but it was less than a year old, so still in warranty.

For us, it all started after the recall to cure the hard to unlatch windows...but only 1 of the 3 mates had the issue.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  05:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has been a problem on ours since we got our first '16 models. The rivets holding the latch loosen up. We now drill the holes out and put 1/4" Gripserts in the frame and use screws. Haven't had a problem after doing this. Initially, IC was doing this repair for us under warranty but there were, and are, too many of them to ground the buses so we've started doing it ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  06:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BigPapa, are you talking about the new style windows with the orange/yellow finger latches or the old ones with all black latches?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, haven't had time to get back here. The ones I'm referring to are the '16 & '17 models we have.

Edited by - BigPapa on 10/25/2018 08:33:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When that style latch was mounted horizontally across the bottom of the window and gave us issues with buzzers going off, we had success adding a layer of stick on foam weatherstripping to the oem layer. This seemed to increase the tension on the latch enough to keep the buzzer switch plunger depressed. Lubing the handle usually made the problem worse.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 10/23/2018 09:46:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  10:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link doesn't work (at least for me). I'm thinking it's not the style I had issues with, but I can see where that rivet would be problematic.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  10:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
link is NOT available......Those new style e-windows from IC are mostly plastic in the latch area.... plenty of issues here, if you don't lube them with dry lube..or something similar... only upside is a complete(frame,glass, latch, etc)new style emergency window is about 210 bucks and some change.... the older ones were at least twice that in price for a complete window.... seems like I had to spend a lot just replacing glass or a latch for the older ones..... if price stays at 210 or so I'll replace whole window when needed rather than purchase new plastic parts for old worn plastic parts....
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  08:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This latch. It's on the side of the window, vertically.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  09:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, yes, that should not be the style the OP and myself are referencing. I do know the rivet you speak of and will file the repair idea in my mind for when we fight the problem.
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  7:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up date figured out the aluminum rivet holding the handle are getting loose drilled out and redid with steel pop rivets out of Thomas bus emergency latch kit so far so good
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  03:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  05:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is what we use. Our box calls them "Grip-Serts". I have found them called "rivet nuts".

Edited by - BigPapa on 10/26/2018 05:50:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000