New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know that the cummins 6.7 is known for the turbo actuator going bad does it put out a code 1894 its been a while since i had one and dont wanna spend hours chasing a wire if its just the actuator cause again i no they have actuator problems just dont remember the codes they set

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't remember the codes off hand, but on the last two I've had with wiring issues, the damage was very easy to spot. One was corroded at the base of the plug and the other had rubbed though the protective jacket and broke the wire.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  05:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive got the same thing going on with an ISL. "abnormal update rate" or something like that. It comes and goes and almost always runs and passes with a key cycle. Ill let you know what I find after I drive some routes, fix a couple downed buses, schedule some sports runs, etc. So far it hasnt caused me any serious trouble.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, 1894 is the typcal Actuator code.

Cummins has changed numbers on the Actuator once AGAIN. The latest number is 5494878RX. They WERE on National Back-order.

Edited by - BigPapa on 10/17/2018 11:42:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big misconception usually the turbo is at fault and wears the electric actuator down, will work with new one but last long ( unless its wiring)
checked code on qsol and its for VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Abnormal Update Rate. No communications on the J1939 data link between the engine ECM and the smart VGT controller.
check for 120 ohm in actuator
then check wiring from actuator to ecm

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i checked my terminating resistors the one on at the fram in middle of bus and andi checked it at the actuator and everything was ok per the diagnostic tree soiam thinkin its the actuator i am gonna replace it is it just a bolt on and then calibrate thru insite and good to go or do i have to set it when bolting it on?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o and i also have code 1894
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  03:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In INSITE™ electronic service tool, go to the engine control module (ECM) Diagnostic Tests screen.

From the list, select VGT Electronic Actuator Installation and Calibration, and click on the “next” button.

Note : The VGT Electronic Actuator Installation and Calibration is not a diagnostic test. It is the procedure used to properly install and calibrate the turbocharger actuator. Performing this procedure improperly can result in additional fault codes and/or damage to the turbocharger or actuator.
The INSITE™ electronic service tool INSTALL ACTUATOR command must only be performed with the actuator not mounted to the turbocharger.

Locate the column labeled Value and left click on the down arrow. Select INSTALL ACTUATOR and select START.

Note : The pinion gear on the turbocharger actuator will not move during this step.
INSITE™ electronic service tool will indicate when this step is complete.

Fault Code 2449 will be active at this point in the procedure. Continue through the turbocharger actuator procedure before troubleshooting any fault codes.

If at any point, INSITE™ electronic service tool status message indicates the procedure was stopped or failed, leave the key ON and cycle the power to the actuator by disconnecting and connecting it from/to the harness.

If cycling power to the actuator does not work, unplug the actuator, turn the keyswitch OFF for 30 seconds, and start INSITE™ electronic service tool. Then start over, beginning with the actuator INSTALL step.
THEN
The turbocharger actuator must be calibrated to the turbocharger. This step must be performed to be sure proper turbocharger operation is achieved.

With INSITE™ electronic service tool screen labeled VGT Electric Actuator Install and Calibrate, locate the column labeled Value and left click on the down arrow. Select CALIBRATE ACTUATOR.

INSITE™ electronic service tool CALIBRATE ACTUATOR command must only be performed with the actuator mounted to the turbocharger.

Follow the instructions on the screen in order to calibrate the turbocharger actuator to the turbocharger. INSITE™ electronic service tool will indicate when this step is complete.

If INSITE™ electronic service tool status message indicates the procedure was stopped or failed, turn the keyswitch OFF for 70 seconds, then turn the keyswitch ON. Then start over, beginning with the INSTALL ACTUATOR instructions.

If the CALIBRATE ACTUATOR step does not pass, restart with the Install step.

It is normal to have an active Fault Code 2387 at this point.

Turn the keyswitch to the OFF position for 70 seconds. Turn the keyswitch ON and refresh the fault code screen. All turbocharger actuator fault codes should be inactive. Use INSITE™ electronic service tool to clear all fault codes

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  08:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bluenozer - we've got a "test" turbo actuator on the shelf because it's been the whole turbo every time.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a "swag" here but are the actuators going bad because of coking in the turbo? Because if the unison ring in the turbo is coked up and will not let the vanes open to 100%, then the actuator is just going to keep hamming voltage to try and achieve 100%. Thus burning up the actuator.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i logged in to say i put the new actuator on and recalibrated it bus runs good and no codes i parked it later in day i went to move it and there is now a hi pitch squeel soundthat went away after few minutes of running i just read your post Ronf and now am wondering if there is an internal turbo problem i moved the rod from lock to lock and it moved fine ugggg say it aint so joe

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 10/23/2018 11:26:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  03:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like RonF said the internals of turbo are coked up by always eating its own poop ( what an egr system is, imagine having a tube from your butt to your mouth all day chewing poo, something is gonna get gummed up)if the unit was deleted it would not have this code due to the fact the actuator would not have to overstroke the turbo to reach the high exhaust temps for the aftertreatment system, even if its not doing a regen the ecm always commands this overstroke , through out a drive to ensure that this can be met if not it will throw a code
with a delete we would remove this parameter and remove the injectors from injecting during the exhaust stroke too ( big bore engines have a 7th injector after turbo , midranges use the engine injectors for fuel to react with doc for reduced emissions)

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  05:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so when u get one in that has a bad actuator do u replae the hole turbo?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not unless the turbo is bad too. With the actuator off you can manually rotate the gear and decide from there. Had one just last week where the actuator seized up and the turbo was fine. And its a lot easier to replace than the entire turbo.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEAH I replaced this one few weeks ago and i moved the gear it felt fine but the driver is complaining when he uses the engine brake there is a hi pich whiste or when its cold and on hi idle it makes a hi pitch whistle or squiel sound but its fine when its warm or if u dont use the engine brake
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  02:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
replace your manifold , it is leaking where the two pieces come together(between #2 and #3 port), you can try to fix with new rings, manifold glue(old CAT fix), new frt. or try a new rear section but I found just take it apart once and install new manifold and be done with it

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i gotcha now that u say that i do remember i had an international with that sound and it ended up being a gasket between turbo and manifold so i will look into the leaky manifold IF i can get the bus back the driver never wants to bring it in
Go to Top of Page

KevinSalyer

1 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit KevinSalyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
People prefer the 5.9 Cumminsover the 6.7 . These are guys that put more miles in a year then most in 5 or 10. Thank al gore and the green crowd for the 6.0 ford over the tried and true 7.3 ford international too? I think they went to 6.7 knowing that the polution crap would have strangled the 5.9?

*Suspected spam link removed, please contact Admin if you feel this was done in error. TB24*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000