Lift placement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  5:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you were given the authority to specify where (front, center or rear) on the bus that the lift was to be installed, where would you want it and why?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  08:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer them in the rear of the bus to maximize the overall capacity of the bus.

Here, if there are W/C positions in a bus, there must be a wide aisle to an emergency door. With about 95% of sales in my state being Conventional or FE transit, that means the back door...and that means mostly 30" or so seats if you put the chair up front or in the middle. Rear lift = 39" seats for most of the bus.

NOW...a front lift and chair positions would be ideal if you were a 1-person show with no bus aide to keep tabs on the kiddos.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  6:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer forward/center - 2 windows between the service door and the lift. This allows the driver to look over their shoulder without the lift obstructing their view when turning,, and also keeps it from being bounced around behind the rear axle. I don't like the idea of forcing students in wheelchairs to be at the back of the bus either, though I recognize that in some applications it just has to be that way or works better based on state spec.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  05:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have transported a teacher in a wheel chair to PD days in a rear lift bus. His comments were "I am not riding in the back of that bus again" (76 pass with out wheel chair mods) The ride was rough and uncomfortable, as we all know the back of a bus is. Due to the nature of some disabilities, the unneeded pounding they get riding in the back of the bus we have gone to front or mid loading to position the chair in the best riding area of the bus, between the front and rear axles. It does reduce overall seating capacity but the passengers comfort is more important in this case as they can not choose where they are seated.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use the rear lift to maximize student capacity. This is a must given budget constraints because it makes the bus usable on any type of route. It is a pain to operate without a bus aide. We spec rear air-ride on the lift buses and that seems to make the ride more reasonable for passengers. In a perfect world, the lift would be mid-ship in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  02:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
as Kodie said, the lift should be at least 2 windows behind front door, so you can see. however, if you get a lot of snow, & have a lot of back roads, i liked having the weight of the lift in the back. as to how bouncy the ride was, it depended on the size of the bus more than where the lift was; & the school.sys sometimes had combo seats, tiny on one side, larger on the other side to keep options open for wheelchair placement.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  03:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness it's been while. Nice to hear from you again Gini!
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  9:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks, yeah, sorry, being retired has allowed me to be lazy! that accident in IN shocked me into stopping by to post. hope everyone is doing as well as possible!

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000