New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006 IC CE300 to be exact...
Anyone replace the cage surrounding the fuel tank?
Availibility? Cost?
I have one that is getting bad. Deciding whether to try to buy new from Navistar, or just buy the raw square tubing and build one myself.

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  10:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have changed a few were in the rust belt buy it from the dealer you don't want the liability should something happen there like 1800 bucks if I recall for the rear center mounted 100 gallon tank cage check your tank while its out we buy all our tanks from Cleveland tank and the straps from them as well there about half the cost good luck transmission jack works great

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Last one we did a year or so ago was a 60 gallon tank on a 2006 IC.. If memory serves me the Tank was around 1200 dollar plus or minus from Navistar, I think the cage was closer to 1400 dollars thru Navistar...

Ended up purchasing an OEM spec tank from Cleveland tank for substantially less, was around 800... The cage we found a certified welder that built one to same specs as OEM using old cage for a pattern for about 600...
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  04:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PrestonBus

Deciding whether to try to buy new from Navistar, or just buy the raw square tubing and build one myself.

No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Think like a lawyer, the ones you see in the TV ads...this would not be good for you in the event anything ever happens involving that bus.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  05:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:
Originally posted by PrestonBus

Deciding whether to try to buy new from Navistar, or just buy the raw square tubing and build one myself.

No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Think like a lawyer, the ones you see in the TV ads...this would not be good for you in the event anything ever happens involving that bus.

Agreed! The way you have to think is "who am I going to put this liability on?" Because there is liability on someone. I had a local lawyer tell me that you can't completely escape liability but you can greatly reduce it by the actions you take. You have to think about the worst case scenario and then try to prevent or transfer responsibility. You may be the best welder in the world but if you don't have the blessings from the manufacturer and designer, you are carrying the weight of the liability. Even with the certified welder you and he will be called to testify if there's an accident. Questions will go something like this; sir what factors did you use to determine what steel you used? (I used the old cage as a pattern) Ok, so you checked to see if there were any updates from the manufacturer? (Well, no) So, you had an engineer look over your plans? (No, I didn't have plans written out I just used the old one for a pattern) OK, what welding rod did you use? (7018) So, you consulted with an engineer to make this determination? (No) Why did you make the choice of the 7018 rod? (Well, it has 70,000 psi tensile strength and......) Excuse me for interrupting but are you an expert in the metallurgical sciences? (No, but.....) So, you are an engineer? (No, I'm not)

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000