Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Muti Lane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a situation where we currently have a bus that is dropping off children on a 2 lane road with a turning lane, so there are 3 lanes, the children are crossing over to the left side. It is my understanding that this is illegal, however my supervisor states that the turning lane does not count as a traffic lane and therefore they are only crossing 1 lane of traffic. Does anyone know the legality of this and perhaps can show me some documentation that shows the law.
Thanks
Mike Sharp

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msharp63

I have a situation where we currently have a bus that is dropping off children on a 2 lane road with a turning lane, so there are 3 lanes, the children are crossing over to the left side. It is my understanding that this is illegal, however my supervisor states that the turning lane does not count as a traffic lane and therefore they are only crossing 1 lane of traffic. Does anyone know the legality of this and perhaps can show me some documentation that shows the law.
Thanks
Mike Sharp

It depends on YOUR state law.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry - Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  04:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out this link:
http://arkansasfacilities.arkansas.gov/public/userfiles/Rules_Transportation/Laws/School_Bus_Laws.pdf

My take-away is that since all traffic is required to stop on a road with less than 4 lanes (whether the road in question is considered 2-lane or 3-lane, it doesn't matter, because the designation is made at 4 lanes), it's not technically illegal.

With that said, I don't necessarily recommend it and would try to find another way to gt that child dropped off, as opposed to trying to cross children on a street like that.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  10:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What he said just above here.

Legal? yes. Wise? Probably not. Think like an attorney. One of the ones you see on TV ads.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Georgia law on this subject.

“I conclude that this statute, as amended by the General Assembly during the 2018 session, does not require a vehicle travelling on a three or five lane road divided by a center turn lane to stop for a school bus that is stopped on the opposite side of the road with its visual signals engaged,” Assistant Attorney General Meghan Davidson wrote.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  02:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
a topic i posted in breaking news goes w/ this issue. that school sys is changing the bus stop, but only after 3 kids are killed & 1 critically injured.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

jerrymill

4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  03:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerrymill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a turing lane is a lane of traffic all of the bus driving classes i have been in say the turning lane is a lane check your bus driver manual they get from class I would have the supervisor put it down on paper and sing it so when someone gets killed they will go for him not u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000