Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC gassers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busman2014

8 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit busman2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious if anyone knows of a district who has taken delivery of a new IC gas engine bus yet? I know some have gotten to see one and test drive it, but if anyone has purchased some and had some actual seat time yet? Just trying to weigh all our options before making a purchase this fall. Thanks in advance.

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just took delivery on 5 this week sent one out on a trip today

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

busman2014

8 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit busman2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool deal, let us know how it does when you have time. interested to see how it does on fuel mileage and power. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  05:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are scheduled to get some in the upcoming months. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they do. I will post what we are seeing with them.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  05:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too would be interested. Personally, I don't understand the move to gasoline when there's such a good alternative option like propane. But, I guess time will tell. @jeeptjken & @aaronwilmoth809111, are these on lease or are you planning to keep these long term?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  1:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We plan on keeping them long term
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ours will be long term as we bought them we have 2 propane units as well but went this route due to a few issues with the propane 1 being fuel pumps at 92,000 miles to the tune of 2800 bucks and a radiator at 800 bucks we know fuel pumps fail but on a gas unit its an easy job and no need to purge the tank we will never go back to diesel its just to costly to maintain

Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  10:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@jeeptjken, that's why we decided to go with some gassers right now. We have 2 Blue Birds with the V10 that do ok, I'm just not a huge fan of Blue Birds. The things we looked at on making our decision are that we can keep the Allison transmission, our IC dealer is about 20 minutes away, cost of maintenance, and downtime for emission related issues with the diesels. Even if things are under warranty, time is money and downtime is lost productivity and it's quite a nuisance dealing with so many issues on brand new buses.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  11:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I respect those issues guys. It doesn't cost nearly 2,800 for a fuel pump here though. What issues are you seeing with blue bird that you don't see with the other brands? Just curious. Seems to me that all three companies have issues (some are the same. i.e. windows (ugh))

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

black

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been running Bird propane's since 2014 and Bird gasoline engines since October of 2017.
The propane buses had some engine recall issues last summer but nothing major. The gasoline engines have not had a single issue related to the Ford engines or transmissions to date. The newer diesel buses we have seem to have an engine emissions issue almost daily! In our fleet fuel mileage seems to be averaging about 4.5 mpg on propane, 6.5 mpg on gasoline and about 7.5 mpg on the diesels. The DEF on diesel engines works out to about $0.03 per mile cost. When we calculate the fuel costs and maintenance cost, the (Return on Investment) is propane 1st with the Fed rebate, gasoline 2nd and diesel a distant 3rd. If we were to lose the government rebate it would be close but gasoline might win out because of the initial bus acquisition cost. Any way this is our experience with Blue Bird buses but would like to know what other brands are doing as well.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  06:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black

We have been running Bird propane's since 2014 and Bird gasoline engines since October of 2017.
The propane buses had some engine recall issues last summer but nothing major. The gasoline engines have not had a single issue related to the Ford engines or transmissions to date. The newer diesel buses we have seem to have an engine emissions issue almost daily! In our fleet fuel mileage seems to be averaging about 4.5 mpg on propane, 6.5 mpg on gasoline and about 7.5 mpg on the diesels. The DEF on diesel engines works out to about $0.03 per mile cost. When we calculate the fuel costs and maintenance cost, the (Return on Investment) is propane 1st with the Fed rebate, gasoline 2nd and diesel a distant 3rd. If we were to lose the government rebate it would be close but gasoline might win out because of the initial bus acquisition cost. Any way this is our experience with Blue Bird buses but would like to know what other brands are doing as well.

These number are about the same I see on my Blue birds. I don't have propane but we have just switch our fleet to gas last year. We are seeing 8.The low cost of the routine maintenance on the gas vs diesel just makes sense. I run FleetVison so I have every cost factored into the bus.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  11:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while the pumps themselves run 950.00 then add the new hose kit that goes inside the tank add the control valve that always crodes here in the rust belt add the cost of the lost propane during purge the cost so repurge after reassembly and your at 2800.00 plus labor

Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  04:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Any update on how the IC gassers ard doing? Especially mileage wise?
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  08:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We can not comment on the new IC's gasser's yet. We order one 10 months ago for a June delivery, now there telling us it will be at least a month from now before we see it. We are told that it is an engine supply issue. Maybe, the district's that are ordering a large number of these are getting preference compared to the small districts that just order one or two.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muddywater

We can not comment on the new IC's gasser's yet. We order one 10 months ago for a June delivery, now there telling us it will be at least a month from now before we see it. We are told that it is an engine supply issue. Maybe, the district's that are ordering a large number of these are getting preference compared to the small districts that just order one or two.

Hmmm.. Sounds like a typical IC issue with engines.

US Army retired CMBT

Edited by - RonF on 09/13/2018 10:16:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000