Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 fs65 steering gear problem?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  07:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2005 Freightliner FS65 that has a steering issue. It will turn fine to the right but when you go to turn back left it will bind up for a sec and then release and turn fine the rest of the way. I have flushed the system and changed the filter. It seems like a problem with the gear to me but would like a second opinion. Thanks for any help.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  10:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be 100% certain the u-joints in the steering shaft are ok before dropping coin on a steering gear. Lots of guys around here have replaced them.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  10:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24 is 100 percent correct. I had a guy here that wouldn't believe it could be the ujoint on the steering shaft thought he knew everything so he did draglink both tie rods ps pump king pins 2 gear boxes so finally i had enough he went to the restroom so i quick poped the shaft off he got mad me touching his bus i said look mr fix it i told you over a week ago that the ujoint was the problem. Funny thing was i ordered the ujoint the week before and handed it to him and said guess you like killing yourself pounding out king pins huh and walked away.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  1:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced the drag link first bc the pitman arm end had a little play and it would bind when I spun it. Still binds only turning left, especially when you try to turn quickly. it will bind for a second then it turns fine. checked for play in the kingpins and tie rod ends, no play felt or seen. I then removed the steering shaft from the gear and inspected the u-joints. no play and felt to be lubed properly. I then found an old steering shaft yoke that fit on the gear and ran the bus and turned the yoke with a vise grip, still have same problem. turns fine to the right but when you turn to the left it binds initially then frees up. pump pressure is where it should be. if I jack the front end off the ground it turns much better but still has a very slight bind when turning left initially.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  1:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also greased everything up after inspecting kingpins and tie rod ends for play before preforming the above tests, everything took grease easily.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000