School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Preventing dead batteries during Summer ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  11:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
During Summer I have some buses that if they sit for weeks will have totally drained systems .I realize there might be something draining these . What I am thinking is about trickle chargers .Are there any districts that do this ? If so how do you do it and what brand ? Or is this something that only happens to a few and I just need to find out what's wrong instead of a band aid job ? Thanks

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With radios, Cameras, Engine electronics and maybe heaters there are lots of little draws. I just start any troublesome buses once a month. Kick up the idle and let them run for half an hour.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I know a bus is going to be sitting for a few weeks or more I just flip the battery switch to off or disconnect them if they dont have a switch.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the summer we switch off master disconnects or circuit breakers on buses that aren't running. 2 weeks before school we fire everything off and if it won't start we address it then. We too let the buses run for a while. Usually about 5 buses out of 150 won't start.

We don't have no starts on the first day of school if we do this.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  04:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same here, we crank up every bus 2 weeks before school starts and let them run for about an hour.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  05:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the master switches and I also test all batteries on my summer check. I replace anything that is 55% or lower on "battery health". I use a Solar tester. Testing has all but eliminated battery failures during the school year.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

AW

52 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2018 :  7:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a small fleet of 16. Between summer special ed class routes, needing to move them to get to other things stored in each garage, and summer maintenance/cleaning on each one, none of our buses go longer than 3-4 days without being started during summer. I don't know if you would call us lucky or not.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  2:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the large fleets out west are using small solar panels that are easily added to the roof of a bus with a charge controller in the battery box. You can put a setup like this on a bus for about a 150 bucks. Check out these links. I know some districts are putting these in their bid specs now. I am kind of surprised none of the bus manufacturers have offered something like this as an option.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-50-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhLHaBRAGEiwAHCgG3lSBFeyYwN0LHbafG9kmsvlQ-DWEe5Jio7196u4U2EyzmXaVxBJxdhoCrocQAvD_BwE

Edited by - C2FAN on 07/16/2018 2:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

nquintrall

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are using the NOCO battery maintainers and ha little trouble the first year, but this year we found several batteries low on acid and determined that having them plugged in all the time was bad. We have a fancy lighting control system in our new facility and I had them wire all of the maintainer outlets to this and set time on and time off for each outlet. Now they run twice a week for 4 hours each and we have buses that start when needed, but not the battery issues. I think any maintainer should be checked for constant operation and limited.

If it's important enough to tell me about, it's important enough to create an issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000