Insite or service maxx ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I probably know the answer to this but wanted to check anyway . I have 2 2017 buses one is a Thomas and the other an IC . They both have the Cummins engines . Do I use insite or are they covered in the service maxx .

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  09:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Servicemaxx has been replaced with NED. I believe it's only for IC busses. Insite will work on any make with a Cummings.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NED will work on IC with a cummins, but you don't get all the features, like running tests, view signals, and voltages.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  12:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have ned . Will it show codes ?
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  1:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you have Ned, then this answer is probably yes:
but do you have the green connector for the NEXIQ link (or whichever you use?)
the new trucks have to have the green adapter for their green plug.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now that I don't know . We use a Nexiq usb link 2
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  2:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the end that plugs into the truck green?
if so, you're good. If it is gray, I'm told it won't work
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  04:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You are correct sir.... Gray won't plug into (newer)green, but green will plugin and work for for(older)gray plugs...

I have both NEDS and Insite programs. My NEDS doesn't seem to do anything for Cummins engine in my IC's.. so I would say get Insite for your Cummins engines, then it should work for and brand bus/truck....
quote:
Originally posted by eddo

is the end that plugs into the truck green?
if so, you're good. If it is gray, I'm told it won't work

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  07:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According my IC warranty tech, who is here working on some DT's. NED will only show you DTC's and give you basic information if it's in something other than and IC bus. IF its a cummins in and IC, everything works fine. If its a cummins in anything else then you need to use InSite.

I did verify this yesterday.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  1:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ron really appreciate that info
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  11:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did not know this...I thought I had tried it before, possibly not.. Going to have to try it out next week and see what I can do with NEDS on my cummins in IC buses, Have always had both Insite and what ever IH was selling be it MD, Servicemaxx, now NEDS.... Could be handy when Insite doesn't want to work or I am in an inpatient mood and don't want to wait so long for insite to load or I want to clear codes faster...
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

According my IC warranty tech, who is here working on some DT's. NED will only show you DTC's and give you basic information if it's in something other than and IC bus. IF its a cummins in and IC, everything works fine. If its a cummins in anything else then you need to use InSite.

I did verify this yesterday.

Edited by - slippert on 05/18/2018 11:53:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  12:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally tried to use my NEDS on a 2015 IC300 with 6.7 Cummins engine this morning... It will connect! It will read codes! but will NOT do anything else, no info on engine temps, voltages and no ability to run any tests of any kind with it on engine....

SO if I was looking for something more than an expensive code reader for my buses with a cummins engine.... You would have to buy Insite, you definitely would have to have it to really diagnose any problem/code that comes up on the engine side...IMO the statment that NEDS will work just fine on IC bus with cummins engine is not correct
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000