School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Anyone Want these 2011 Maxxforce DT Buses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of someone wanting used Maxxforce DT buses? Might consider selling ours outright if the price is right. Still getting options.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  08:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few guys I don't like, I'll see if they are interested! I would think you'd get at least some decent trade-in value for them being less than 10 years old. Decent, not good.
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  09:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way. Doing an inframe on my 2008 maxxforce dt. 280km (175m) Dog bone broke. Wasted the cam, metal everywhere. Another larger contractor around here just rounded up all his Ics, maxx7 and dts. Straight to the auction. Replaced with new BB gassers. The amount of public and private money being spent on keeping the modern diesel engine running is very concerning to me as a taxpayer and business owner. Cummins is not immune either. Rant over. Back to cleaning filings from oil passages.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flint1

I feel the same way. Doing an inframe on my 2008 maxxforce dt. 280km (175m) Dog bone broke. Wasted the cam, metal everywhere. Another larger contractor around here just rounded up all his Ics, maxx7 and dts. Straight to the auction. Replaced with new BB gassers. The amount of public and private money being spent on keeping the modern diesel engine running is very concerning to me as a taxpayer and business owner. Cummins is not immune either. Rant over. Back to cleaning filings from oil passages.

Well, guys, I seriously thought there would be someone partial to them. lol, There sure is a lot of talk from some on here how great they are or how you just have to treat them right. I'm thinking they want a good deal.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most troublesome units we own pure money pits we just scrapped a 2011 its just too costly to keep them on the road unleaded gas units are the way to go for our location

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buried buses make great storm shelters! Since they're always sitting anyway, put them to good use! Perhaps you could sell them that way...
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  11:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we are looking at this the wrong way. These have potential to be a very valuable asset to a tech school/JVS or the like. The students could get lots of practice working on them, rebuilding them, going on road service calls.

Place a govdeals or publicsurplus ad: "Diesel tech school training aides, $75,000 each. Volume discounts available!"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ That there's funny, I don't care who you are!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could push them over on their sides and use them for bus evacuation training. Or how about the local fire department? Maybe theyd like to set one on fire for their training. Im sure many on this forum that have had the privilege of fixing them would love to see that.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  11:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, all funny! However, I am being serious here. I am not sure what my board is going to want to do here so I'm trying to get some options. The trade in value for these are quite depressing!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boat Anchors on the new Chinese air craft carrier.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  12:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I'm talking about. V V Brad, do you know anyone that has the same view as you do?

Brian,
I am sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with these engines. I have personally come to like them. Maybe that seems odd to most of you but in reality what it boils down to is gaining a full understanding of the engine. I, like you, tend to dislike those things that I do not fully understand. We see many more issues with our Cummins engines than we do with our MF Dt’s (23). I know you are an experienced mechanic and perhaps this is why your comments are so troubling to me. My recommendation is to access all of the service literature on the engine and after treatment system and familiarize yourself with the systems. Also, read up on the various TSB’s on the engine in the webpage. If you have specific issues with them, I can possibly help since I am diamond certified through international on that engine and worked for a time as a customer service technician. Best regards, Brad
Brad A. Barker

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  12:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

This is what I'm talking about. V V Brad, do you know anyone that has the same view as you do?

Brian,
I am sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with these engines. I have personally come to like them. Maybe that seems odd to most of you but in reality what it boils down to is gaining a full understanding of the engine. I, like you, tend to dislike those things that I do not fully understand. We see many more issues with our Cummins engines than we do with our MF Dt’s (23). I know you are an experienced mechanic and perhaps this is why your comments are so troubling to me. My recommendation is to access all of the service literature on the engine and after treatment system and familiarize yourself with the systems. Also, read up on the various TSB’s on the engine in the webpage. If you have specific issues with them, I can possibly help since I am diamond certified through international on that engine and worked for a time as a customer service technician. Best regards, Brad
Brad A. Barker

Sounds like a typical International answer.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  03:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are down to just 2 of those and those 2 cant leave here fast enough our district cant set enough money aside to keep these on the road they are 3 to 5 times the money per school year to keep on the road there is no like about these and they have little to no trade value

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  05:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

we are down to just 2 of those and those 2 cant leave here fast enough our district cant set enough money aside to keep these on the road they are 3 to 5 times the money per school year to keep on the road there is no like about these and they have little to no trade value

You know, we used to talk about the VT and Maxx7 like that-- but people were ok with these DTs. So, as time went by people have soured on these too? I was just hoping it was only me and a couple others who don't care for these. I would like to get better money out of these than what my dealer is talking on trade. Of course, all this talk may be for not if my board sees things a different way. For the most part we have good community members on our board but they can see things differently than the guy who has to deal with this equipment everyday.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  07:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

You know, we used to talk about the VT and Maxx7 like that-- but people were ok with these DTs. So, as time went by people have soured on these too? I was just hoping it was only me and a couple others who don't care for these. I would like to get better money out of these than what my dealer is talking on trade. Of course, all this talk may be for not if my board sees things a different way. For the most part we have good community members on our board but they can see things differently than the guy who has to deal with this equipment everyday.

Talk dollars and cents to them. It worked for me. We have 5 MaxxFarce DT's that go out of warranty in November. So far under warranty they all have had thousands, if not 10's of thousands of dollars in repairs. Many repairs being repeat.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  10:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i`m with Brad , I have Maxx DTs Maxx 7 365s and have more problems with cummins than anything else.
As i have said before understanding systems is key to any diagnostics
no matter what your working on.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drp53188

i`m with Brad , I have Maxx DTs Maxx 7 365s and have more problems with cummins than anything else.

You want a couple more?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  04:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are companies/individuals that buy old buses and ship them to Mexico or South America and where ever?...I think they use them for public transportation down there... must be good rate of profit in it, as they will usually pay decent money at the bus actions for them... maybe that's a viable option,lol... get them completely out of the country!...
Go to Top of Page

Miles O Roads

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2018 :  5:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone with back row specials that are blown up? Needing parts and seems everyone got a bad one at there districts.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  02:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think some miss the point , having to constantly diagnose regardless of your expertise on a given bus is the issue .it seems
some feel just because they can repair a bus quicker it somehow makes it reliable even given the fact they may frequent the repair bay for multiple breakdowns , repairs regardless of what was done last time at the shop.
There were plenty of Master Yugo mechanics at one point ..but regardless they were still junk .

Edited by - td083 on 05/21/2018 03:04:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PM me and let me know what your specs are , sometimes it`s not cost effective if i have to change seat spacing and things like that.
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

There are companies/individuals that buy old buses and ship them to Mexico or South America and where ever?...I think they use them for public transportation down there... must be good rate of profit in it, as they will usually pay decent money at the bus actions for them... maybe that's a viable option,lol... get them completely out of the country!...

Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry reply`d to the wrong quote.
Brian PM me and we can talk.
quote:

quote:

You want a couple more?

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

I think some miss the point , having to constantly diagnose regardless of your expertise on a given bus is the issue .it seems
some feel just because they can repair a bus quicker it somehow makes it reliable even given the fact they may frequent the repair bay for multiple breakdowns , repairs regardless of what was done last time at the shop.
There were plenty of Master Yugo mechanics at one point ..but regardless they were still junk .

I wouldn't call them a Yugo. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  11:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry reply`d to the wrong quote.
Brian PM me and we can talk.
quote:

quote:

You want a couple more?

I just shot you a message.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000