Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Gasoline Engine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

black

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone has received the new IC gasoline engine school buses yet? Just curious as to how they perform and the fuel mileage they are getting. I was told that the propane IC buses don't get near the fuel mileage as the Blue Birds do and would assume this may be the case on the gasoline version as well.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  05:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. I'd be interested to know some details myself. I cannot figure out why people are going to gasoline when we have a better option, with the same characteristics, available.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  05:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not endorsing one fuel over there other here...

2 reasons.

"We/they had propane before and it was horrible!" Yes, because new buses use the same setup at the 1981's did. Just like your 2018 F150 is the same as Jack's 1981 F150.

"I can pull into a gas station and get gas, propane is harder to find!" How far are you traveling on trips, exactly? I mean I suppose there are some for which this is a legit reason, but not many.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black

I was wondering if anyone has received the new IC gasoline engine school buses yet? Just curious as to how they perform and the fuel mileage they are getting. I was told that the propane IC buses don't get near the fuel mileage as the Blue Birds do and would assume this may be the case on the gasoline version as well.

Our IC propane tends do better mpg than our Bluebirds. The IC engine has to downshift far less and even if it does its 2600 rpm tops. They are impressive with the amount of work they get done between 1200 and 2200 rpm.
Our Bluebird propanes do a lot of downshifting, step on the pedal
and they are buzzing, up to 4,000 rpm.

I see the day when we will have a few 83 passenger diesels for HS trips and the rest of the fleet will be a mix of mostly propane and some gasoline powered because its not practical in our district to fuel all buses in one location.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/03/2018 08:12:37 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000