Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T 444e issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2coolr4skool

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Send 2coolr4skool an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have an '02 ic bus with a T444 in it with 168,000 miles on it, occasionally it will go haywire and start running rough, coughing smoke and have little to no throttle response, it usually does this when it's trying to accelerate from a dead stop (student pick up) it is erratic and you never know when it will happen. I have replaced all the major components such as the IPR,ICP and even a new fuel pump. It gives no indication as to when it will do this and pocketmaxx says it is an " unknown occurence" . No DTC has ever shown up. the bus route is very close to the school and by the time a replacement is taken there the bus starts and runs and performs normally. just cant receive enough information to try and diagnose it.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the injector harness for burnt terminals. The injector harness connects at the top of the valve covers. Unplug it and inspect for burnt terminals, unplug both sides. You'll need to replace the connector, injector harness (under the valve cover), and the valve cover gasket if you find any burnt terminals.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It you haven't replaced cam sensor...I would ck that. I remember having the inlines six do similar things and not throw a code sometimes,,, other times they would... had a couple of 444's here also and seems like I changed out a fair share of cam sensors on those too...with similar symtoms...
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just couple thoughts first we had 444 ic that had a stall at a specific spot on there run, lots of white smoke before it would stall, every time we would head out it would start and never act up on us. Ended up being the vent on the fuel tank was plugged, it would vacuum the tank till no fuel to engine and stall, leave it sit, it would bleed down and go again. The other issue was baffles breaking off in the older buses, the pickup sucking them up and loosing fuel. S basically if we would see a problem like this and no codes or direction to head we would get to the pick up, pull it , cut the bottom into a v so it could not be blocked. Then pull the vent, make sure it was not restricted. At least cover those bases right off.
Go to Top of Page

2coolr4skool

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  2:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Send 2coolr4skool an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have done it all to this engine, injector harness is good. cam sensors are a pain on these buses i know, have changed out a few myself. The fuel tank is going to get drained in the morning and that process will be scrutinized i can assure you. All great ideas, thanks for your expert opinions

Calvin Taber
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  1:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need to drain the tank. Just remove cover on the floor and the fuel level sensor and stick a telescoping magnet down and see if the baffle is laying down there . Either way just cut a couple of small notches in the end of the suction tube so it cannot be blocked off by the plate covering it when it slides around.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  05:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exhaust restriction? I had one in a E350 a baffle in the muffler had come loose. Put your foot into it and the baffle would plug the outlet. Shut it off would start up and be fine until the next time you foot into it or sometimes when you hit as good bump.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have had one recently where the injectors were replaced almost a year earlier , and would exhibit intermittent running rough smoking no dtcs and hardly any throttle at times
turns out a few of the injectors were not tightened correctly and worked loose , you could tell the bottom half of the injectors were black with carbon buildup all over . Just in case you get to that point where nothing is fixing the issue may be time to pull the injectors and check .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000