Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DT466E rough idle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LRed

10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit LRed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have an 04 Bluebird on a 3800 chassis, DT466E engine, that when first started has a very rough idle. It starts right up, but is rough. If high-idled until coolant temp gets to 175 or so, it is smoother, except when under heavy load at lower RPMs. Once it downshift, it's smoother.

If, after it gets to 180-190 (normal operating temp) and is shut down and restarted, it runs smooth as silk. It's got to be kept near normal operating temp to stay that way.

The fuel filter on the engine has been replaced.

Has anyone had something like this happen?

Thank you.

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an injection problem. Maybe bad IPR or injector that likes the higher temps. do you have softwear to cut each injector and see if one is missing?
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  10:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one doing this that I'm pretty sure was oil seeping past an injector o-ring. Once it got up to temp, o-ring re-seated itself and all was good. But ran like crap every morning til I put injectors in it.

I did as bfaulkner suggested, and mine ended up being #4 injector. I replaced all six anyway, and haven't had an issue since.

Edited by - eddo on 04/10/2018 10:12:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You are missing something here. LRed said it smooths out at higher temps. A leaking injector o ring, which is related to IPR pressure will run worse at higher temps and have trouble starting when hot. However, it could be a fuel related issue with an injector rather than IPR. Usually on older 466's when cold and having faulty injectors they will smoke a lot when cold. My rule of thumb is if the engine has over 150K on it and never had injectors and you have a starting or performance issue related to injectors I replace them all. I suggest at fuel pressure check cold and hot too.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000