School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Anyone noticing Fleetguard FS1098 filters leaking?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  2:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has any of you had issues with the new style fuel water separator filter FS 1098 from Fleetguard leaking on the lower side? This filter doesn't have a separate debris bowl where a seal may leak, but fuel seems to be coming from that area.
This is on a bus I received in October of 2017, so the "warranty" is over (3 months according to Cummins).
Just curious.
Thank you,
earl

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  04:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not familure with that number but a search comes up with cummins freighliner. Is this in a Thomas bus? My BlueBirds with cummins take a different number. Fuel filter, FF63009. separator 3231.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  05:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with another dealer? There have been several Fleetguard recalls the last couple years. Most recently FF5418, a batch made in China, imagine that LOL. Plastic cap leaking. When we first started getting buses with the FF63009 we got a recall notice for a certain batch, plastic leaking. We had some with the batch number but were not leaking.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  06:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Last 2 IC,s ...We purchased November 2017 have that filter # on them in.
Took the place of the FS1065 that was on my previous buses.. No leaks so far! (had top correct filter #) my mistake
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

I'm not familure with that number but a search comes up with cummins freighliner. Is this in a Thomas bus? My BlueBirds with cummins take a different number. Fuel filter, FF63009. separator 3231.

Edited by - slippert on 03/16/2018 04:26:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  06:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only filter recall I could find is from 2014. http://www.filguide.com/fleetguard-fuel-filters-recalled/

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no issues with the 2 in my fleet. I'll keep an look out for this, though.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  06:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF
Is this in a Thomas bus? My BlueBirds with cummins take a different number. Fuel filter, FF63009. separator 3231.

This bus is a brand new "2019" Vision, this particular filter is located on the driverside firewall. Past units were using a Racor type filter with a detachable sediment bowl, but this filter is all one piece.
I'll check with another dealer, and will look into the site Bryan gave me.
Thank you,
earl
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  2:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
got those on my bobcats since 2015, all in one filter & seperator, easy maintenance wise. never had one leak. 2019 would go back to dealer, forcefully!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Fleetguard-Separator-Fuel-Water-Pack/dp/B01IW54CDU

https://landing.bobcat.com/parts/fuel-filters.html

Edited by - kummins on 03/17/2018 2:36:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I searched online and didn't find any recalls for FS1098.
*But*, I also did not find the recall, which I have in front of me for the FF5418 dated Nov 27 17.
This was sent to me from our supplier, I am *guessing* if they know where the bad batches went, they only target people that may have received them. The only thing I found omline, was Ryder stating that their filters were not part of the recall.
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/fleetguard-cummins-ff5418/fuel-filter-cartridge-ford-p-v52-ff5418

I would definitely hang onto the filter, possibly notify nhtsa? or whoever looks after that in the US.
Maybe mention that to your dealer, see if the tone changes :)
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  1:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

I would definitely hang onto the filter, possibly notify nhtsa? or whoever looks after that in the US.
Maybe mention that to your dealer, see if the tone changes :)

Thank you, I'll see what happens,(not holding my breath)
earl
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here's an update, looks like the filter was intact, but the heater element connection is leaking fuel out of the terminal housing, running down the split loom and running onto the filter housing making it look like the filter itself was leaking.
I have a new unit on the way.
You may want to take the connector out and look inside to make sure yours is dry.
Thank you folks again for your input, as always it is valuable!
earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000