Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 "Stay Warm" feature for Cummins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oliver88

14 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit oliver88's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just read the article on the main page about the "Stay Warm" feature for buses with the Cummins in them. Has anyone else tried this and seen pros or cons yet? I called my Cummins Tech support and they never heard of it before. My Thomas dealer said they have done it just too early to see if it helps much. Looking to try to help Aftertreatment issues even a little. Thanks

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like it's just a programmed configuration that keeps it from cancelling regens unless the bus sits still for too long. I thought they did that years ago? Used to be that setting the park brake cancelled regens...that didn't work too well for buses and trash trucks for obvious reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas is pushing diesel hard right now. Doesn't look like they are going to have any gas or propane offerings.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  1:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to look into this as well but haven't had a chance to contact anyone. Does anyone have a link or directions to make this change? Also can it be done with Insite Lite or would it require a higher level subscription?

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  1:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a one-sheet referred to in the story that walks you through making the adjustment. You can find it here: http://files.schoolbusfleet.com/pdfs/cummins-insite-regen-update.pdf
quote:
Originally posted by buster133

I've been trying to look into this as well but haven't had a chance to contact anyone. Does anyone have a link or directions to make this change? Also can it be done with Insite Lite or would it require a higher level subscription?

Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  2:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect, Thanks

Now would I be correct in assuming that "2010 & Newer" means only the DEF equipped ISB's?

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have done it to all of my buses that I can. Knock on wood I don't have many emissions issues to begin with but me and the drivers stay on top of doing regens. The 3 extra things that I due is I use Insite and on buses that have SCR system I perform an SCR performance test 1-2 times a year and I always update Ecm calibrations. The 3rd thing I due is that I use a low ash content engine oil Valvoline All Fleet Plus.

On the SCR test I was told straight from Cummins service techs while in training class to do it that way. The SCR test will clean DPF better because it burns hotter for longer.

In my 3 years so far I have had 1 egr valve(2009 bus), 3 nox sensors(warranty), 2 def pumps(warranty) and 1 weird issue my 1st year had 2014 vision out on trip derate because Def tank was reading empty was 3/4 full. Didn't have Insite yet.Had it towed to IH dealer that was close and they cleared codes and code never came back and hasn't since.

Don't forget that Cummins is a baseline 100,000 or 5 year on warranty and it covers def system. I have heard from my Cummins sales manager that schools seem to be unaware of this and will buy the parts and due it them selves or pay to have it done. Outside of the egr valve I haven't paid a dime for any of those repairs.

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  06:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have never had much trouble with the DPF systems on our buses, never done a parked regen, never had to clean or replace one. The DEF/SCR systems have been a whole other story for us, I really doubt we ever buy another diesel bus.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  07:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and 1 weird issue my 1st year had 2014 vision out on trip derate because Def tank was reading empty was 3/4 full. Didn't have Insite yet.Had it towed to IH dealer that was close and they cleared codes and code never came back and hasn't since.

I had this happen too and when I asked Cummins experts they looked at me like I was crazy. I asked them why the ECM trusts the level sensor in the DEF tank over the sensors in the exhaust aftertreatment? I had this issue go both ways:
1) DEF tank physically full and reading empty = derate and check engine light.
2) DEF tank physically empty and reading full = no issue.

Now as part of my regular inspections I take note of the gauge AND look in the tank. Ive seen the float stuck about halfway up several times.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well at least I can say I am not alone in that happening. Leave it to an engineer to program it that way. Engineers have a degree from school that makes them smarter than all of us lol.
Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  7:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do it, do it, do it. If no insite, have it done. It will save you a lot of headaches. Not proprietary to Thomas!
Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  7:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

and 1 weird issue my 1st year had 2014 vision out on trip derate because Def tank was reading empty was 3/4 full. Didn't have Insite yet.Had it towed to IH dealer that was close and they cleared codes and code never came back and hasn't since.

I had this happen too and when I asked Cummins experts they looked at me like I was crazy. I asked them why the ECM trusts the level sensor in the DEF tank over the sensors in the exhaust aftertreatment? I had this issue go both ways:
1) DEF tank physically full and reading empty = derate and check engine light.
2) DEF tank physically empty and reading full = no issue.

Now as part of my regular inspections I take note of the gauge AND look in the tank. Ive seen the float stuck about halfway up several times.

The def tank in bb isn't mechanical, its sonar. Bad def, crystals, and frozen def will cause, along with bad sending units and bb ****ty wiring as of lately
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  12:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just finished doing it to all our buses u can doit with insite takes just a few minutes will see if it makes a difference or not time will tell
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  08:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or if someone fills the DEF tank and lets little little foil seal from the jug go into the tank. No, I'm not kidding.

Had one (our first DEF bus) here read full all the time, so I ordered the replacement sonar thing, we dropped the tank and changed it...then found the foil thing had gotten jammed up in the top of the sonar tube. Had to have gotten in the tank at least 3 years prior because we went to drums when the 2nd DEF bus arrived.

Have to laugh sometimes. The new sensor got installed anyways.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000