Take me to school....Bendix AD-9 air dryer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never messed with one up until this new set of buses. All my older buses were hydro brakes and my personal equipment with air brakes was driven by Moses himself.....

What mileage or time scale do you all use to change the filter? I'm in a very dry region but don't mind being excessive if its a benefit.

I have conventional IC's with red engines... Do you wrestle the cover and filter off with them on the bus or remove the entire dryer for filter change out??

One has started a slight hiss at the purge valve, replace as a whole or reseal? If whole, soft or hard seat valve??

Thanks all!!!

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once a year is a good rule of thumb. If you are getting excess moisture from the tank drains then go more often. I am in a very dry climate too and can usually go a couple of years with no issues.
We have all Bluebirds and I find its just easier to remove the whole unit and put it in a vise or on the bench to overhaul it.
I usually just reseal the purge valves because it saves a little bit of money but you can just replace it too.
I have been using soft seats and they have been great. I have had zero issues with them. Here is a bulletin from Bendix on the differences: http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemdisplay.asp?documentid=5016
Overall, they are great units. They have been around forever and are very simple to work on.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it's an AD-9 they are a lot easier to do on bench off vehicle, IMO.....

The ADIP is all I run unless and it's mounted in a tight location, I service them on the bus..
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  3:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks yall!! Ive got some filter on order and will likely change them over spring break.

Thank again!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Fargo its dry here but the temps change and builds water to. We change them once a year filter,heats and valve. Sometimes that's not enough. Buy the good ones with no cores. no china made one
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ADIP Here service them on the bus if I can get to them and we do every other year so half the fleet this year other half the following year

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  08:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the ad9 purge valve assy is nearly the same price as a completely brand new drier, add in cost of dessecant filter and labor to clean and 'rebiuld' puts it way over the top.

figure in that's it's also a brake system component, huge safety issue here with did you rebiuld it correctly, i will only replace with brand new which releives me of any parts/system failure liability.

$190 brand new unit, i get mine at local truck parts vendor, dealers want way too much moola for the same thing.
https://www.amazon.com/AD-9-Dryer-Bendix-Replacement-Mounting/dp/B0054HVTAO

i also change out the governor & unloader valve kit for the compressor at the same time.

Edited by - kummins on 02/09/2018 09:00:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info fella's!!
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AD-9 is easy to rebuild. I can get a reman Desiccant Cartridge and purge valve rebuild kit from the local commercial brake supplier for under $60.00 and rebuild one in about an hour (including removing, installing and testing). There is not much of a liability in rebuild one since it is a simple system. Either it works or it dont. If it tests good then out the door it goes.

Not fond of the ADIP dryers on buses since they are located often in the worst spot and getting the "O" rings to stay in place can be a pain. I just remove the whole dryer, do it on a bench and out it goes. Have not had issues with purge valves on them but they are pricey. Sure glad we only have a couple of the dryers.

We change the Dryers every 2 years or when we see oil contamination or moisture from the wet tank drain.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ITP has there house brand for 160 We get very cold in fargo and never have any problem hardware related.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can rebuild for less than half the price of a new one.
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do rebuild most of them but if they are ate up with salt are the guy doing it don't know how to rebuilt it I have him put a new one on and I rebuild that one for next time. I thought every one can rebuild an air dry ha I was wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000