New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  07:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any software out there that could make daily bus changes smoother. We are currently using google sheets for this and manually taking phone calls and entering them in.

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  11:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what your daily bus changes are.

If the route has a spare bus, we have magnets with the regular bus number to cover up the real bus number. We then email or call the affected schools.

If your changes are students riding different buses everyday, then you are much nicer than I am. My rule is, pick a bus and stay there. Changes only happen on an occasional basis and require a note from home signed by the school. Otherwise you have a free-for-all and I'd say Google Sheets may be your best bet to try and track and communicate any changes. I don't know of any software that tracks things on this level without a lot of labor for data input and system maintenance.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

Not sure what your daily bus changes are.

If the route has a spare bus, we have magnets with the regular bus number to cover up the real bus number. We then email or call the affected schools.

If your changes are students riding different buses everyday, then you are much nicer than I am. My rule is, pick a bus and stay there. Changes only happen on an occasional basis and require a note from home signed by the school. Otherwise you have a free-for-all and I'd say Google Sheets may be your best bet to try and track and communicate any changes. I don't know of any software that tracks things on this level without a lot of labor for data input and system maintenance.

lol Yes, I'm talking about students riding different buses. For years students could ride any bus they needed with a note from home. As long as we were going by where they needed to go we let them ride the bus. They could change as many times as they needed and as many different places as they wanted. This system worked well for (I know) over 40 years. We tweaked it by adding, first a carbon copy then Accell. When we got google drive we went to sheets. I thought we were handling thing quite well. Occasionally, we'd have a student that got on the wrong bus and we didn't know where they were when mom says they didn't show to the proper location. A quick radio call revealed what had happened. This was very rare. Anyway, our school board decided this wasn't a good set up and made it where a student could only have two locations to go to. Doesn't matter if it's the same bus or not, two stops only. Now, in order to "save time", my board wants me to look into software. I do not think it will "save time". What I think is that we will spend money and then realize that we didn't save time or anything else for that matter. I only have 10 regular routes and transport about 400 students daily.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree that if you find any software that accommodates these features, it would not be worth the trouble and expense.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  05:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

I would agree that if you find any software that accommodates these features, it would not be worth the trouble and expense.

Our tech department has found a company that does notes only. Going to research today.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000