California child safety alert systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  09:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here in CA gone through the documents recently released by the CHP? Im still working through the legalese trying to figure out if the units Ive already installed meet their specs. Im worried that Im going to have to modify or replace what Ive already installed. Guess thats what I get for being proactive.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  03:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STN had a story on it the other day and it really sounds like an over-complicated mess. Good luck to you!
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  12:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked at it yet but we were just sent the information. Luckily for us we were not proactive and haven't installed anything yet. Our CHP officer told us not to until we have official documentation on what exactly is needed. What company did you use for what you have on now? How does it work so far? One of our local dealers has reached out to us and is recommending Child Checkmate.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  2:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scot1337

I haven't looked at it yet but we were just sent the information. Luckily for us we were not proactive and haven't installed anything yet. Our CHP officer told us not to until we have official documentation on what exactly is needed. What company did you use for what you have on now? How does it work so far? One of our local dealers has reached out to us and is recommending Child Checkmate.

Thats what I have. I installed them on 6 of 12 buses. I thought I was pretty clever too when I wired it to arm whenever the red lights were activated as all of my routes use the lights for loading and unloading. CHP is permitting a delay in activation "for up to 3 minutes after the vehicle is put into motion or reaches 10 mph".

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can’t go wrong with the Child-checkmate systems. If you haven’t already found it check out this link
https://childcheckmate.helpdocs.io/ They have a bit of information regarding this topic.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  11:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought the Child Checkmate units last year but then decided to wait on the CHP legislation to come out so we never installed them. I just talked to Child Checkmate this morning to see if what we already bought will work with the new requirements. They said that the units we already bought will work but will have to be reprogrammed at the dealer and we will also need to purchase 2 additional wire harnesses. 1 for the door and 1 for the dome lights. They said the dealers should have the device to reprogram within the next couple of months as they are still waiting on them.
I assume that the new devices being sold in California will come already programmed and with the additional harnesses.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good to hear, you just never know if dealers are recommending because of quality or because they get a great deal. They were quoting an 8 hour install per bus, sound reasonable?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scot1337

That's good to hear, you just never know if dealers are recommending because of quality or because they get a great deal. They were quoting an 8 hour install per bus, sound reasonable?

I'm not in California (thank the Lord above!). I have Homebound brand units. It has a green indicator light when it has power from the ignition key. Has a delay after red 8-ways are activated (I think it's 5 minutes). After the delay a red light lights up (on front of unit) indicating it is "armed". The unit beeps when key is turned off and the dome lights come on. If you open the door, the horn honks and won't stop unless you close the door and turn the key on and back off. Once key is off you proceed to the back and push a button. The light flash and stay on until you come to the front and open the door. Then everything is over. You can also over ride the delay by pressing a button on the front of the unit for 5 seconds. An alternate way to "disarm" is to push the button on the front for 5 seconds and proceed to the back and push the button. Only thing is the dome lights don't come on. Been running these for over 10 years and had little trouble with them. I think I installed them in 4 hours or less.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  11:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE.

Just talked to the tech guy at ChildCheckMate. I've already purchased and installed several EP-1 plus units, and now I just need to have them reprogrammed and wire in additional harnesses for the dome lights, the door, and another for the parking brake input. The company seems to be on top of making their product compliant with the new CA CHP standards.

Also an 8 hour install time seems a bit much to me. The installations I did (all on Thomas HDX's and before these new standards) took me about 2 hours after I got it figured out. A bit longer on my HDX with the old power boards in the side electrical comp.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  12:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

UPDATE.

Just talked to the tech guy at ChildCheckMate. I've already purchased and installed several EP-1 plus units, and now I just need to have them reprogrammed and wire in additional harnesses for the dome lights, the door, and another for the parking brake input. The company seems to be on top of making their product compliant with the new CA CHP standards.

Also an 8 hour install time seems a bit much to me. The installations I did (all on Thomas HDX's and before these new standards) took me about 2 hours after I got it figured out. A bit longer on my HDX with the old power boards in the side electrical comp.

Thanks for the update Ken. I just went to a demo yesterday showing how the system works and how the dealer did the install. It didn't look very difficult to install, in fact it looked easier than most camera systems iv'e done. Are you going to buy all of the switches, relays and wires to make your own harness or are you going to buy it from ChildCheckMate?
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installed one on a mock up board so it could be used as a demo for the training department. The system works, but will take some time to install from scratch.

Depending on the bus, and your mechanical ability, I easily see 4 to 8 hours to install.

Edited by - 40ngone on 02/08/2018 1:18:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill pull the units out and have them reprogrammed and buy the harnesses and install myself. I think I heard someone say that the dome light wiring needs relays. Not sure why the leads couldnt be spliced into the switch side of already existing relays as I did with the horn unless their engineers think itll damage the module somehow.

40ngone, dont suppose youd post a picture for us?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  2:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try to post a picture. Just need to understand it is not pretty, and would be difficult to follow any wiring.
When I built the brake board for the CA Department of ED, it is a full demo understandable brake board. This is a quick, working system. I plan on doing a permanent working board down the road.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried to attach a photo, but I don't think the site allows it. If it does, I am not seeing how.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just in...

SB 1068, as introduced, Mendoza.

Schoolbus safety: child safety alert system.

Existing law requires all schoolbuses to be equipped with certain safety features, as specified. Existing law requires, on or before the beginning of the 2018–19 school year, schoolbuses, school pupil activity buses, except as provided, youth buses, and child care motor vehicles to be equipped with a “child safety alert system,” which is a device located at the interior rear of a vehicle that requires the driver to either manually contact or scan the device before exiting the vehicle, thereby prompting the driver to inspect the entirety of the interior of the vehicle before exiting.

This bill would postpone that requirement until the beginning of the 2019–20 school year. This bill would also declare that it is to take effect immediately as an urgency statute.

Please follow the status of the bill at http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billHistoryClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1068

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40ngone

Tried to attach a photo, but I don't think the site allows it. If it does, I am not seeing how.

You have to post it on Photobucket (or similar) and then link it here. Lately, I have been making an album in my Google photos and linking to it here. It's a lot easier than anything else I've tried to do here with photos.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a vendor tell me that SB 1068 passed but I can't find any proof. Has anyone heard or seen anything on this lately?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  08:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the bill http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1068

If you click on the "status" tab on the top bar, you can tell it is still being considered.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000