New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  07:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an IC 8.8 demo here, New windows seem much better and the engine ran just fine. We did have several inches of snow on the ground so it was not the best conditions for a road test.
My brother drove it and he said it seemed to not downshift properly at times.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EpfSQf][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/EpfSQf]20171213_133746[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/82511246@N02/]flog00[/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/EpfSwj][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/EpfSwj]20171213_133735[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/82511246@N02/]flog00[/url], on Flickr

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the snow on the ground had anything to do with it downshifting weird? I can't wait for them to bring us one for demo. I'm gonna push hard to get these in our fleet. Sick of the problems with these DPF DEF crap.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  08:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

I wonder if the snow on the ground had anything to do with it downshifting weird? I can't wait for them to bring us one for demo. I'm gonna push hard to get these in our fleet. Sick of the problems with these DPF DEF crap.

Likely, bus had traction control.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  08:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sure one of your dealers would bring you one. What part of the world are you from?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  08:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

Likely, bus had traction control.

Ahhh that could be. Did he say anything about the power, like maybe compered to a Cummins? They're supposded to be scpec'd about the same as far as torque and HP.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 12/15/2017 11:22:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  09:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

[quote]

I'm sure one of your dealers would bring you one. What part of the world are you from?

From the great state of Texas, the metroplex area. We're in between directors right now so when the new one is in place I'll call my rep to bring us one out.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]

From the great state of Texas, the metroplex area. We're in between directors right now so when the new one is in place I'll call my rep to bring us one out.

You have some pretty good incentives to go propane down there. I actually called Denton ISD and talked to the TD before we bought ours.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove the bus he's talking about. It had good power but had a 5.57 gear like our diesels come with. They recommend a 6 something gear for the gas. I was going 55 and had to slow to about 40. When i tried to take off again it wouldn't downshift even at wot. It could've been a gear issue but it took forever to get back to 55. The 8.8 looked a lot easier to remove the exhaust manifolds than the v-10 but the power seemed about the same.

Edited by - Ryan5r on 12/15/2017 10:08:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have some pretty good incentives to go propane down there. I actually called Denton ISD and talked to the TD before we bought ours.

I might run that by the new director to. Propane is cheaper per mile I hear.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan5r

I drove the bus he's talking about. It had good power but had a 5.57 gear like our diesels come with. They recommend a 6 something gear for the gas. I was going 55 and had to slow to about 40. When i tried to take off again it wouldn't downshift even at wot. It could've been a gear issue but it took forever to get back to 55. The 8.8 looked a lot easier to remove the exhaust manifolds than the v-10 but the power seemed about the same.

That or maybe they need to tweak the programmimg on the TCM a little. You say the power is the same as the V10 or the diesel? I know the V10 has to ramp up on the RPM's to get any power out of it.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  11:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That or maybe they need to tweak the programmimg on the TCM a little. You say the power is the same as the V10 or the diesel? I know the V10 has to ramp up on the RPM's to get any power out of it.

I drove the bus and it performed just like a Cummins in town. I did not take it on the highway.
I would buy it.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  11:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think both gassers drive the same. The power is comparable to the ISB on both. There might be a few hundred rpms different at the shift points on the 8.8 but their pretty close.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  11:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

quote:

quote:

I drove the bus and it performed just like a Cummins in town. I did not take it on the highway.
I would buy it.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  12:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah....look at that new/old style master cylinder!!!! I know some of y'all like your hydraulic brakes, which is fine, but that system they used for the last ten or so years just looked like trouble to me.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  1:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Ah....look at that new/old style master cylinder!!!! I know some of y'all like your hydraulic brakes, which is fine, but that system they used for the last ten or so years just looked like trouble to me.

Wait! What??? How does that work with an air compressor and a master cylinder? What the what??? I didn't notice that till you pointed it out. Can someone explain this?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  1:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guessing its an air park brake and air door etc.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  2:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It had hydraulic brakes with emergency cables similar to a car for the parking brake. It didn't look the ideal setup for the parking brake. I think he said it was built with Ill. specs.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  3:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess air ride, door, seat, sign, etc, so the compressor.
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove the same bus 2 months ago. I dig it. Back to hydromax brakes. As a small contractor my next bus will be the 8.8. I'm the proud (!) Owner of a maxxforce dt that eats me out of house and home at times it sure looks good. Even the contractors that have mostly cummins isb are suffering as they age, they don't run on unicorn farts either.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  03:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hated the brakes. I'd go air for sure.

Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  04:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just used to seeing one or the other never both. If you had hydraulic brakes then you had a manual door, hand pump seat and electric sign. Wish manual doors were standard again, life would be so much better.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  04:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do believe the manual door is still standard on the CE. Not sure about the Vision.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  04:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard it cost more to order a BB with a manual door. That's crazy. Not sure about IC.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This bus had an electric door.
Specs were for Illinois.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  05:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm just used to seeing one or the other never both. If you had hydraulic brakes then you had a manual door, hand pump seat and electric sign. Wish manual doors were standard again, life would be so much better.

Yeah, I'm afraid we're going to see an electric door as a contributing factor in the Iowa tragedy we just saw. I am no fan of electric doors. It just doesn't make good sense to me. Oh, I also had two ICs with a air compressor because I ordered an air seat. Crazy I know but that's the reason it was on there. No air seats for me any more either. Seat Inc is the way to go! An air seat bounces the driver through the ceiling on our country roads. The one air seat I have left the lady has it aired up tight so to effectively delete the air seat.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  05:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air door is non-negotiable for me. Too many "WORKER'S COMP!" types here. I'm sure sooner or later they will start in with how the switch hurt them.

Gotta be sure your drivers are integrating instructions on how to release the power doors when they do student emergency training. I've said it before, from watching the video of my bus that rolled over, the kids DO listen when we train them.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  06:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Air door is non-negotiable for me. Too many "WORKER'S COMP!" types here. I'm sure sooner or later they will start in with how the switch hurt them.

Gotta be sure your drivers are integrating instructions on how to release the power doors when they do student emergency training. I've said it before, from watching the video of my bus that rolled over, the kids DO listen when we train them.

Our students exit the bus evacuation style everytime they arrive at the school. And they all know where the door release switch is located. State law also requires 2 mandatory evac training per year for all students.

You nailed it about the workmans comp comment. All they need is a doctor to say "Yep the door switch is causing the pain".
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  06:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for that reminder! I just texted the two drivers I have that have the IC electric doors, to remind them to teach their kids how to operate they doors in the event of an emergency.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  6:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our old lift bus a 2004 IC had hydraulic brakes that had an air compressor for the air seat, ride, and door. The air ride and hydraulic brakes were the Dumbest combination I have ever seen. We had to cut a notch in the leaf spring in order to get the top caliper bolt out.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  04:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICBUS07-30

Our old lift bus a 2004 IC had hydraulic brakes that had an air compressor for the air seat, ride, and door. The air ride and hydraulic brakes were the Dumbest combination I have ever seen. We had to cut a notch in the leaf spring in order to get the top caliper bolt out.

Cutting on the spring puts all the liability on you guys.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  05:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cutting on the spring puts all the liability on you guys.

Man, our emojis are lacking. I'm looking for the one with the big bug eyes! Cutting on a leaf spring?! Uh, big no no.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you talking front or rear? I would question IC's design and have IC come and look at this before I would cut on a leaf spring. In no way shape or form is this standard maintenance practices. If so IC would have to put that in writing.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  1:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rear drivers side. It held up well until about four years ago when the 90 degree bend broke off and put new springs on. Lucky for us it went to scrap last year so now we don't have to worry.

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

Are you talking front or rear? I would question IC's design and have IC come and look at this before I would cut on a leaf spring. In no way shape or form is this standard maintenance practices. If so IC would have to put that in writing.

Formally ICBUS0730

Edited by - ICBUS07-30 on 12/19/2017 2:08:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  10:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That wont pass inspection !!!!
quote:

The rear drivers side. It held up well until about four years ago when the 90 degree bend broke off and put new springs on. Lucky for us it went to scrap last year so now we don't have to worry.

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by drp53188

[quote]
It passed all inspections from 2004 until it was retired two years ago!

Formally ICBUS0730

Edited by - ICBUS07-30 on 12/21/2017 1:48:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  10:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad that inspectors not inspecting my buses
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by drp53188

[quote]
It passed all inspections from 2004 until it was retired two years ago!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000