Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Mechanic pay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oliver88

14 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  05:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit oliver88's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering what some other School Districts have for starting pay for Bus mechanics with some experience? Just looking to see how inline we are is all. Thanks

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  05:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our pay starts at 19.36/hr or more with certifications and we work year round. It ain't near enough for what we do. We do all repairs in house unless it's covered under warranty. We're supposed to do body work to but no one here knows how to paint, that's a whole other trade. You won't learn it overnight either. We have nice new paint boothe just sitting there wasting away. We have enough work to keep 2 body guys employed year round but they won't hire anyone. Body work takes alot of time that we mechanics don't have.

Edit: And we also sub drive.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 12/07/2017 09:52:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  05:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

Body work takes alot of time that we mechanics don't have.

You're right there!! I don't do body work for a living but have done some of my own at home. Boy! Something that you think should take an hour will easily take 4 times that!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  05:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what the starting pay would be but we are maxed out at 20 years which is near $22 an hour.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  11:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$28 and change Canadian if you are a papered journeyman and you have a provincial inspection certificate, buck an hr less if no inspection certificate. Unlicensed is around $22 I think. We don't have a graduated pay scale we all the max from day one.

Edited by - exmod110 on 12/07/2017 11:14:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
19.99/hr starting off and 32.56/hr after 30yrs. It is the same here too, I am expected to do most all work in house which includes body work. Also, I am in charge of all the district vehicles, grounds keeper equipment, AG department tractors and 20% maintenance duties. Plus our director quit and the superintendent took over the responsibilities and is not looking to hire a new director. So I am also responsible for some of the duties that the director would do.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hired an apprentice two years ago. Started at 19.60 now at about 22.00
No driving.

quote:
Originally posted by scot1337

19.99/hr starting off and 32.56/hr after 30yrs. It is the same here too, I am expected to do most all work in house which includes body work. Also, I am in charge of all the district vehicles, grounds keeper equipment, AG department tractors and 20% maintenance duties. Plus our director quit and the superintendent took over the responsibilities and is not looking to hire a new director. So I am also responsible for some of the duties that the director would do.

Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  03:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 4 grade levels in the shop. Where a tech is depends on experience, certifications and proven reliability/knowledge.
Tech I 14.57-25.16
Tech II 16.71-28.88
Tech III 22.01-38.02
Crew Leader 24.40-42.16
If a new tech comes in with ASE's they will start at the II position. If they have the right experience level we can start them up to 20% over base pay. After that they have to earn promotions.

Edited by - RBrian on 12/08/2017 03:40:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  03:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We start mechanic 1 22$ an hour around 45k a year and mechanic 2 -26$ to 28$ an hour 55k-59k a year gross , though the pay grade for mechanic 1 tops at 72k and mechanic 2 at 79k a year <<only the old timers 25 years plus are getting that though due to very lucrative county raise system back in the day ......We do have ase bonus 500$ for every master cert every year , atleast 2 ase gets ya 250$ some folks here are cert in all areas receiving another 2900$ a year though that was recent add on .

Edited by - td083 on 12/08/2017 03:59:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  04:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Same here I'm in charge of everything from a weed eater to a school bus. JD tractors, golf carts, warehouse forklifts, electric pallet jacks, Hotsy steamers, white fleet, etc.

It's crazy that they won't hire you guys a director. They must think you're superman.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

quote:

Same here I'm in charge of everything from a weed eater to a school bus. JD tractors, golf carts, warehouse forklifts, electric pallet jacks, Hotsy steamers, white fleet, etc.

It's crazy that they won't hire you guys a director. They must think you're superman.

Yeah the superintendent thinks they can handle it all I guess. I could really use a director and a mechanic helper. The fleet, albeit 11 buses, is an average of 15-20 years old and is starting to get worn out. I can barely keep up with the major issues let alone the minor things. The white fleet, forklift and tractors are in the same boat. Just trying to find parts is becoming a problem!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do it all, including TD duties, at a 17 unit fleet plus other equipment on campus and have been for 24 years. I make about what you guys consider starting pay. Decent for the area but still not the best. Pays the bills and I like it. It's almost like having your own shop without the pitfalls that come with that. Although, I can be fired for ANY reason at ANY time. I guess what keeps me here is that I work with some great people! Hasn't always been that way, so I can appreciate it now!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  06:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started at $11/hr with no experience and now on my 4th school year I'm at $13/hr. I'm the only mechanic here with a fleet of 25 buses and about 12 other school vehicles. I'm also the sub driver, but I don't do body work. A little bit of painting here and there.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  06:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I started here 20 years ago @ about $11. per hour, now am up to $23.00 per hour. I have always had my insurance paid for by the district, so I think you could add about 10% to the figures above for a more accurate number. I am the only wrench here, 10 type C @ D,s, 4 type A's, 4 "white" trucks and all the lawn and snow blowing equipment. In my job description it states "and what ever else is needed to keep the district running smoothly." I do every thing from clean-up after activity trips to all major repairs, sometimes fixing sprinklers or mowing grass. The only other person here, full time, is the transportation Manager. We both drive routes. Like some others reading this I have stayed because of the people I work with, the limited number of boss's I have, and the stability of the job. Colorado does have a fairly good, state run, public employee retirement program, 50% after 20 years, plus 2.5% per year above 20 years, gross pay for retirees life. You take this job for the stability of the job, and the retirement, not the "day wages".
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  07:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In our district we have two categories . One is transportation technician and transportation mechanic . The tech starts at 15.18 an hour and goes to 20.26 an hour. The tech doesn't do it all . The transportation mechanic starts at 17.13 and tops out at 22.63 . My district hired me as a tech and then found I could do more so they made me a transportation mechanic . Then with my 35 years experience bumped me up to the 22.63 and we are a union shop
Go to Top of Page

Donotpass

14 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donotpass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
31.58 base

ASE certs can earn up to 2.50 more an hour
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000