Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Fuel and asphaltene
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC Maxxforce 7 engines, Black fuel filters... primarily with 2010 emissions, although I am also seeing it at a limited level with 2009 engines. We run all off-road fuel, no bio. Lots of MIL/warn engine lights. Codes related to "high fuel temp/ fuel temp above threshold".
Until last week, I had just assumed this is normal for the Maxxforce. When I changed out yet another black water/fuel separator, I noticed "coffee grounds" when I squeezed the cartridge to remove it from the cap... same with fuel filter!
I was told about aphaltene, so I googled it... sounds exactly like what I have found! Fuel is apparently getting so hot in a common rail engine that it's "cooking" it... its continuing back to the tank, then back up to the filters.

Thoughts?

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how to cure the problem, but all my maxxforce filters are black when changed out.
New filters every 450 hours, or all kinds of issues pop up.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal for Maxx 7,
Check to see if you have fuel coolers in front of the radiator.
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of investigating potential solutions to the issue. It appears that it may be caused from the ultra-low sulphur fuel, and that an additive may help resolve it. I am always skeptical of findings of research done BY the companies that are also selling the additives, so this may take a little time...
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake oil, Don`t do it!!
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  06:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this only happening in Maxx 7 engines? I noticed OEM coolers for Ford 6.4L V8 but nothing for IC. Are these coolers only needed in hot climates? Are they needed for inline 6 engines? I have never had black fuel filter media, but only run VT365s, and 6.7 Cummins.
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  3:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see it on the 2010+ IC. I understand the FRP was increased, therefore higher temps. Now that it is colder out (below 30 degrees), the MIL is not coming on much at all. hmmm... still looking for some answers...
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  05:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the engine has a fuel cooler system with a pump on the left side by the rad. Make sure the pump is working. No first hand exp, but I do recall the pump being there for the fuel to coolant cooler.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000