New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I've chased my tail for over two weeks on this darn thing. This is a 2003 FS65 with Cat 3126 and about 185k on it. Battery ran down over night and I thought it was the camera system because we had some issues with it. Just unplugged it and sent the driver on his way. Next morning, same issue. Gave him a spare to drive and the craziness began. I guess it's because I only have the one FS65 but I had a hard time finding the problem. The diagrams are pretty hard to follow but I can normally figure things out from it in short order. Not this time. To make a long story short, I ended up finding the heated mirror relay stuck on. In the interim I unhooked every fuse and breaker on the bus, in groups, to narrow it down. After I solved the draw issue I found I had created a new problem. The check engine light was on and set a code for low current in the intake heater system. I had inadvertently left a fuse out that is for the intake heater. I didn't have a diagram to go by on the fuse cover so I had a pretty hard time figuring it out. Finally got a copy of one from the dealer. At any rate, installed the fuse and the check engine light stayed on. However, the code went away for the low current on the intake heater circuit but an overspeed code was set. I cannot clear this logged code for some reason. Anyone have a clue on this?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  09:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Engine over speed, high temp and other critical codes are only cleared from a factory or dealer password.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  05:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

Engine over speed, high temp and other critical codes are only cleared from a factory or dealer password.

No kidding?! Argh!! This thing is killing me!
Thanks for the info!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat dealer did confirm that they have to clear that code. He didn't understand how it could have been set. So, there might be more to it that meets the eye. Time will tell. Thanks, again, for your help!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be too shocked if your ECM dies in the near future. I had an 05 giving false codes before it went belly-up on us. I think it was overspeed, overheat and all 6 injectors had faults.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  05:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Don't be too shocked if your ECM dies in the near future. I had an 05 giving false codes before it went belly-up on us. I think it was overspeed, overheat and all 6 injectors had faults.

Well, yesterday I thought your comment did not apply to this one. However, this morning, I am begining to think you might be correct. Took it to Cat yesterday and they said the overspeed code wouldn't turn on the check engine light. OK, why didn't you tell me that before I drove 40 mile to get to your shop? lol. Anyway, brought it back and I found some codes for the brake system but the ABS light wasn't on until I checked the codes. Am I going crazy or is this a possibility? lol Argh! I have started to drink because of this thing! A lot more coffee that is.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  05:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, update on this unit. Called Wabco and they are talking me through some things. Going to call back today because I am getting power on pin 1 (Battery), pin 2 (ignition) and a good ground on pin 12. I also load tested 1 and 2 with an incandescent bulb. Wabco told me that the code I'm getting from the brake system shouldn't be turning on the check engine light though. Ugh, no end to this!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  11:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, found the ABS Modulator bad. Ugh, 1,700 bucks! I'd recommend calling Wabco if you have an issue that you are having trouble diagnosing! These people are top notch. I found the manual for this module online and the number was on the back page. Anyway, good people in the tech department there! This still won't fix the check engine light. After I install this modulator I would imagine I'll have more diagnosis left to do. Wish me luck.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  12:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey you never know...that light could go out! One module on the backbone goes wonky it make make the others upset.

So is a hydraulic bus just equipped with one big modulator to do all 4 corners? Newest one I ever worked on was a 96, pre-ABS.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  1:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Hey you never know...that light could go out! One module on the backbone goes wonky it make make the others upset.

So is a hydraulic bus just equipped with one big modulator to do all 4 corners? Newest one I ever worked on was a 96, pre-ABS.

Yes, it's a hydraulic with ABS. There is one module to control the system. Takes inputs from all 4 wheels and the voltage from the motor. With the motor plugged in, and being locked up, it sees low voltage. So, it sets a code. Pretty simple set up and very good manual to diagnose. If I were someone who deals with these systems on a regular basis I would have gotten it figured out about 3 weeks ago. Such is the pitfalls of being the head cook and chief bottle washer at a small district.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did Cat get the engine light to go out?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  05:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

Did Cat get the engine light to go out?

No, they said it was an overspeed code (which this thing has never oversped to my knowledge) and that wouldn't set a code. They did clear it though. I'll get this modulator in and start over on the diagnosis if the check engine light stays on. It will surprise me if it doesn't stay on.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000