Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 97 dt466e won't start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Engine has about 200,000 miles. When it's running it has good power no abnormal smoke or problems. Since it has been getting colder here in Colorado it has been getting harder to start. Now, not at all, engine is plugged in at night, and feeling the block, it is warm. HPOP builds pressure to 900 psi in under 2 seconds, it's not making oil, fuel rail pressure comes up to 55-65 psi in same time frame. Fuel pump pressure will drop off to 40 psi after 30 seconds of starter disengagement, then over the next hour will creep back up to 60 psi (?). I put in a new cam sensor with no positive results. Any suggestion on what I should try? We are a small district with only 20 vehicles total and they don't have any electronic diagnosis equipment, Thanks for your time and any help you might have.

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go here to learn how to read the DTC's on this vintage of vehicle without extra tools. Then post back your findings.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/reading-codes-on-ih-electro nic-engines.59291/

Edited by - eddo on 10/13/2017 12:14:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  6:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have good oil injection pressure and good fuel pressure, then my guess would be that your injector solenoids are not receiving the signal to fire. Of course, this could be for a variety of reasons. Doesn't this engine also have a crankshaft sensor or am I wrong about this? I know the 444's only had a cam sensor, but I think this engine might have both. Can somebody answer that?

Perhaps the cold weather is causing a poor connection at the engine computer/injector drive module. There could also be a poor/marginal ground that is affected by the weather. You could also have a bad engine computer/drive module, but this seems less likely since the problem is intermittent. Would this model have a separate injector drive module? I don't know as much about the 466 models.

It would probably be a good idea to check for codes using the above method. If there are any, they might help point to the specific problem.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First, thanks for the two replies I have received.
O.K. pulled codes, recorded all both active and inactive. Cleared inactive codes(after writing them down). Am left with one code 543
It basically says ecm asked idm for information, and did not receive any. Now I am in search of idm relay, or power source, and or idm to check for wiring problem. I will keep you posted on what I find.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
International-9.o
I can not find a crank sensor on this engine or, this year of engine. I did find that from 2004 - 2013 this engine did use one though. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muddywater

International-9.o
I can not find a crank sensor on this engine or, this year of engine. I did find that from 2004 - 2013 this engine did use one though. Thanks again

A 1997 DT466E, right? Those are cam sensors only. It's on the front cover, towards the right side, outboard of the fan hub, above the water pump. 90 degree orientation so that the plug faces up, rather than forward towards the fan. Held in by one bolt which holds a retaining clip.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  4:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24;
That is correct, the sensor comes with an attached mounting clip so it only installs one way, you just have to set the air gap to .015 There is no crank sensor on this old model, only newer ones.

I have been checking the IDM relay and wires. also checked some resistance values that could be checked with DVOM with the IDM harness disconnected, they showed good. After I finished checking them I cleared the codes and rechecked the system for active codes, they are gone engine started right up. I will let it set tonight and see what happens. Will uptake tomorrow, Thanks for your help and advice.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks for the info. on the crank sensor. That taught me something new! At least I was not totally wrong...some of them later ones had them. I wonder why the 444s always had trouble with that sensor, but the DTs didn't seem to have that same issue?
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  06:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
International-9.0
The DT's did have the same problem, the bus I'm working on has had at least 4 cam sensors put on it since it was new. The original one lasted about ten years, since then, the replacements haven't held up near as good. I think I was lucky with the first one. If the 444's had more trouble, my guess it would have been a spacing issue, or excessive heat issue.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the next time you pull the cam sensor look at the tip and see if it has a groove worn into it we are seeing some of ours with the groove from the cam gear button rubbing on them one ended up having the cam walk out far enough to smack the sensor (that one is now a parts bus ) just my 2 cents

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  11:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
jeeptjken:
I have not seen any of my take-outs with any physical damage at all. What I always questioned is if they want that air gap to be .015-.020 and they say if it will bottom out in the bottom of the hole, that is .000. With out touching the bottom, why don't you have to compensate for that air gap that is still there. You can still have up to .005 gap in there. Just one of those mystery's of life I guess. I've never had one that didn't bottom out in the hole.

This A.M. I replaced both the ECM @ IDM relay's, checked for codes found none, bus started right up. Had good test drive, parked it till tomorrow A.M. Check it then with out any heater on and see if will not have codes and start. Till then, Thanks to all.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  5:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to know about the 466 cam sensors. I didn't realize they had that issue, too. I figured it happened from time to time, but I just heard way less complaints about it than the 444s. I imagine some of that is because Ford used the 444 engines in the pickup trucks, so it was a more widely experienced failure.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 4 of these engines, and 1 goes through a cam sensor about once a year. The others give me no issues.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000