New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured a few of you guys would get a kick out of this. Myself and 3 other guys are leaving Friday after work to go to Evansville in the 1980 IH/Superior to join the crowd...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2017/08/15/vintage-buses-roll-into-evansville-greyhound-terminal/104624210/

A big group of buses really isn't that exciting to me, but it's neat to see stuff like this. You know, before the EPA ruined our lives?

2 years now we've taken it out to Hershey, PA in June to an event at a transportation museum and it's totally worth the trip when the little old lady climbs up and says "Oh my gosh, a Superior...I used to drive one just like it!"

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I may make the trip. It's only about 1.5 hours from me.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do, I demand you visit us at the Superior!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

If you do, I demand you visit us at the Superior!

HA, HA, I'll make it a point!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  04:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somebody PLEASE take and post pictures!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  05:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

It's so dang hard to post pictures here! I am planning to go unless something comes up. I'll see what I can do to post pictures.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

It's so dang hard to post pictures here! I am planning to go unless something comes up. I'll see what I can do to post pictures.

I can help host pictures here. I'd like to see them too.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24 has my email
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1941 3/4 wide 19 passenger Flxible highway bus built on a cab/over front engine 235 cu" Chevrolet chassis. The bus was used on narrow gravel road highways in North Dakota and had two passenger seats on the left side of the off/center isle and one passenger seats on the right side that had additional spring unfolding jump seats that allowed the entire isle to be filled with passengers. My dad converted the bus to a motorhome in 1952 and this summer I donated the bus to a guy in Georgia that is converting it back to the original highway bus for attending Highway Bus Shows and Flxible Bus rallies in Loudonville, Ohio where the thousands of rear engine Flxible Motor Coaches were built.

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  5:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwight

1941 3/4 wide 19 passenger Flxible highway bus built on a cab/over front engine 235 cu" Chevrolet chassis. The bus was used on narrow gravel road highways in North Dakota and had two passenger seats on the left side of the off/center isle and one passenger seats on the right side that had additional spring unfolding jump seats that allowed the entire isle to be filled with passengers. My dad converted the bus to a motorhome in 1952 and this summer I donated the bus to a guy in Georgia that is converting it back to the original highway bus for attending Highway Bus Shows and Flxible Bus rallies in Loudonville, Ohio where the thousands of rear engine Flxible Motor Coaches were built.

Neat!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  06:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most certainly won't be the oldest there, but gave the 1980 a going-over the other evening, it's washed up and ready to roll. Radiator is starting to seep at the bottom when cold, looks like I have a Christmas break project.

We're looking at around 10:00 tonight we will roll in, one of the organizers gave us his cell to call so he can meet us to park us. 5 block walk to the hotel.

Gonna be a scorcher tomorrow, but worth it if it makes someone happy to see an IHC/Superior again. If anyone can make it, please do. I'm told a Guinness rep is coming since it'll be a world record event.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  07:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a 4-hour drive and a birthday party, I will have to send my regrets for this year.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  08:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not going to a recurring event. Or so I'm told.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  12:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

This is not going to a recurring event. Or so I'm told.

Probably not. The people putting it on are from Michigan (I think) and the event is to generate attention for the newly restored Greyhound station and the new business inside it. I've been trying to read up on it since you gave me the heads up. Thanks for the post! I'll see you tomorrow!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  03:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I never expected so many spectators to turn out for something like this. The organizers should be very proud! I suspect if it hadn't been so miserable hot out we would have seen even more people walking around.

I drove the 7 hours down Friday night, made one of the other guys drive us home last night (Sunday). 7.5 MPG from the old DT466 which never missed a beat. Gotta love the old stuff.

Nice to meet bwest and family in-person...looking forward to next time, wherever that is!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  05:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was a good time! My wife was disappointed that there weren't more school buses. Even said we need to look for an old bus at some point. LOL (looked for a emoji for surprised look but we are pretty limited in that department here) Needless to say, I was surprised she said that!

I'm going to have to figure out how to post pics. It's been a long time since I've posted pics here.

Nice to meet you in person too Pat. Tell Mike we can probably be friends if we don't talk buses. Thanks for making the drive!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000