Fuel filter light on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TMOORSE

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  2:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006 International CE300 school bus.DT466 change of fuel filter,thoroughly cleaned housing and screen. Fuel filter light is still on.
Is there a reset procedure,similar to the Trans. oil filter reset process?

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  04:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ran into this issue just the other day mine was a 2009 ic so not sure if u have same issue but one of the guys changed a fuel filter and message came in dash fuel filter an a little wrench light came on it was drive and the messange and light never went out so i pulled the filter and there was dirt in bottom i cleaned and reinstalled filter still had same problem i put laptop on it and i had code for low fuel pressure i drove it a few times still had problem so i put a low pressure pump in and its been fine ever since
Go to Top of Page

Donotpass

14 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  07:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donotpass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if the fuel filters are good, the bowl is clean (no metal/plastic from supply pump) id log into NED and see what the fuel supply pressure is. Spec is 65 PSI.

Check the o-rings on the supply pump and FF housing, the o-rings routinely degrade and give me issues, also the fuel regulator in the bottom of the bowl might be suspect
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also seen this with low or bouncing fuel pressure. If the filter does not fix it, it has always been the low pressure pump.
Go to Top of Page

tkorpal

28 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had this issue twice now the first time i ended up sending the bus to the dealer and $1000 later they replace the fuel pressure requlator and sensor. the second one we figured out that WIX changed the design of thier fuel filters causing the fuel pressure requlator not to get a signal WIX is reimbursing me the earlier charge and for all my old fuel filters.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  08:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been plagued by this problem. The fix has raged from fuel pumps, to pressure regulators, to complete housings, to nothing. I always look at fuel pressure then replace the pump and pressure regulator. I have to that have had the complete new housing, pump and still had the light and code, so i removed the dash and cut out that little light. problem solved.

Weak pumps, leaking o-rings, bad regulators in the housing, and leaking primer hand pumps are the most common causes.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont forget to check the vent on fuel tank isnt blocked
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on the original post of this thread we are talking about a 2006 IC with a DT466. So this would be a DT466EGR engine. With that being said the fuel pressure sensor that sends the signal to the ECm telling you your fuel filter is dirty is in the filter housing. The FPR (fuel pressure regulator) is inside the filter housing. You can program the ECM to not use the FPR (change fuel filter). I have found that a bad regulator will effect the fuel pressure (usually bouncing and below 50 PSI. Sensors go bad and the EOP and Fuel pressure sensor are the same part number. The wrong filter can cause issues with the regulator / pressure issue which could cause issues with the Fuel sensor. Both parts are less than $200 and can be changed in about 30 minuets along with a new filter. always clean out the fuel pre-screen / fuel heater when changing the filter. Its crazy how bad the pre-screens can get

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  4:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey 57, On the reprogram of that optional EFP circuit in ECM, can that be done by the fleet, or does it have to be turned off by a dealer? I was looking on DLB/NED/ServiceMaxx for a on/off programmable setting and couldn't find it. I was going to try and do it myself if possible.
Thanks, Tom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000