New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  06:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you guys who run ICs tell me what factors must be met before the system will let you do a parked regen? I have two post 07 emissions buses and they are both ICs. (the rest are propane) I have one that won't do a parked regen? It started with a check engine light and SPN 351 FMI 4. I replaced the differential pressure sensor and cleared the code. Light stayed off but I can't go into a parked regen. Any ideas?

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anytime I have ever tried to do a parked regen on ICs with a Maxxforce, I have never successfully been able to. Even with ServiceMaxx, I have never been able to force it like with a Cummins. Basically, if it doesn't think that it needs a regen, it won't allow you to do it. Your best bet would be to take off the DPF and maybe even the DOC and have them baked and cleaned. Someone else might chime in with some better knowledge, but this has always been my experience.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cannot do a parked regen unless it's telling you to do so by the dash message board or by the way the lights are flashing at you, then you follow the instructions on the sticker above the driver.

If you have active or inactive fault code or codes it will not do a regen until those faults are fixed.

In Service Maxx or Navistar Engine Diagnostics you run the after treatment filter cleanliness test. That will do a forced regen if needed, If not it won't do it.

If you have the High exhaust temp light on, that means it's doing a regen and just keep driving. If you stop it or sit and Idle, after I think 120 seconds it will stop doing the regen.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  12:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To piggyback on what Ron said, on our 2007 emissions DTs, I've never been able to run the aftertreatment filter cleanliness test to make it do a forced regen.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  04:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have run the cleanliness test with service max and it will usually do the regen or tell u regen not needed but i have never been able to do a park regen with the switches on dash
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  06:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

i have run the cleanliness test with service max and it will usually do the regen or tell u regen not needed but i have never been able to do a park regen with the switches on dash

Crazy! So why put a switch on the dash? lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

Crazy! So why put a switch on the dash? lol

I wouldn't want a force regen switch on the dash for drivers to play with.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  11:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feature code 0007WZV to relocate it to "Flasher Plate" meaning where the Weldon 7000 used to be. That's where mine are and I recommend it to those buying IC.

EPA probably requires the nonsense switch, like everything else. It's ridiculous that even an inactive code inhibits regens.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the dash switch goes, I unplugged all of them. I dont want my drivers messing with them...ever!

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially the regen inhibit!
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  10:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just speculating here but I see in our large fleet of maxxforce engines some drivers are back regularly for the bus just needing a regen , were thinking its due to there route ( possible its stop and go to much for a operating regen to occur )when needed hence they come to the shop sometimes for us to do a parked regen , and the doc and dpf our checked ok . The regen buttons only are affective if the drivers are educated about it and that's the issue I guess
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to maxxforce DTs, the one with more stop and go is giving less trouble that the other with longer runs between stops and a long run home in the evening

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  9:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the 07 maxxforce wont do a regen even with the NED software so what we use is the plate between the dpf and doc and kind of convince it to do a "forced" regen without the computer, yeah you have to watch the temps but it works well and plus you dont have to send out the exhaust filters to get sweeped clean......... :) works well!
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  05:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
meanmechanic01 if ya don't mind not quite understanding , the use of a plate you put a metal plate between the doc and dpf and run the bus to get it to regen just would like to know as if it works would be helpful do ya have any pics of what you mean or further explanation thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000