Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DPF maintenance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  03:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After reading the Atlanta story about their maintenance issues I am curious as to how many have a DPF/DOC maintenance program? How many have a baker in shop? We have 167 buses with these and have only had to send out 3 or 4 to be cleaned. The reason was because they were building oil. If the DPF light comes on while a driver is on a route we tell them to drop the trans down to 3rd and finish. Usually we don't hear from them again. Have very few go in to derate mode.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  03:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About twice a year I do a filter cleanliness test on the IC's. So far I've never had to have one removed and cleaned.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  04:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i usually run a park regen or filter cleanliness test just before inspection time which is every six months we have only had to drop three two where because of turbo issues and the other was an injector problem
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  04:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RBrian

After reading the Atlanta story about their maintenance issues I am curious as to how many have a DPF/DOC maintenance program? How many have a baker in shop? We have 167 buses with these and have only had to send out 3 or 4 to be cleaned. The reason was because they were building oil. If the DPF light comes on while a driver is on a route we tell them to drop the trans down to 3rd and finish. Usually we don't hear from them again. Have very few go in to derate mode.

That's interesting, never heard of dropping it into 3D. Makes sense though to keep the RPM's higher keeping the DOC and DPF hotter. I'm gonna give that a shot next time a driver calls in with the DPF light. We have the oven and the cleaner but only use it when we have to. Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  03:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Judging by the response to my questions I would say most, like us haven't had a need for an in shop DPF baker. I wonder why Atlanta felt they needed one. Doing a forced regen once or twice a year sounds like a good preventative measure.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  08:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took over a small district about a year ago and have had issues with 2 of my BB. Both have Cummins and constantly go through active regens and then eventually say regen needed on the dash. I am getting a ton of soot build up on the face of the catalyst. Do those need to baked as well as the DPF? Do I have other issues as well that is causing that to plug up? I am new to the DPF world so any help is welcome.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  05:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the DPF is getting face plugged then you most likely have an engine problem. Possible calibration issue, coolant leak. burning oil, ect. Try changing the crankcase breather filter. The service interval on that filter is 75,000 miles.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info RonF, that's kind of what I thought was going on. I just recently replaced the crankcase breather filter on it, it had quite a bit of oil coming out of it. It also has an oil leak that appears to be coming from the rear of the oil pan and leaking on the flex pipe for the exhaust. The pipe looks like it is broken so i'm wondering if I'm getting oil in that way as well. Should I have the catalyst baked and pulsed as well?
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

If the DPF is getting face plugged then you most likely have an engine problem. Possible calibration issue, coolant leak. burning oil, ect. Try changing the crankcase breather filter. The service interval on that filter is 75,000 miles.

Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins by default has the regen settings set to zero MPH. So a vehicle will do an active regen (while going down the road) when the correct speed is achieved. Once a vehicle comes to a stop the regen will stop. So the regen has not been completed. This process cans start and stop as many times as a bus starts and stops. You can reset the parameters in the ecm with Insite software to allow the regen to continue when the bus comes to a complete stop. We have done this and reduced the issues with DPF's. I agre with RonF on the Crank Case Filters. We change them every 50K. They do allot of idling so it cant hurt. All the other issues listed above can effect the DPF / DOC. Start with the simple issues first.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000