New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i have another thread going with this bus about the compression test but now I think its a fuel issue first of all there is fuel in the oil pan its about three quarts over second when I put a fuel guage on it when its running the gauge is all over the place and when I shut it down the gauge goes right to 0 I check it out on another bus and while running the gauge again is all over the place but when I shut this one down it holds fuel pressure now all the injectors have been replaced I have no codes all data looks good is there anyway to check leak down on each injector without takin them out

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just a couple of things I ran into on my 08-09 DTs.... Not all fuel in oil issues were from injectors, actually I don't remember any of my making oil issues being from injector issues.... IH liked to blame the mechanical lift pump for being most of the making oil/fuel issue, be it a few times that was the case.... The other times it was issues with a degrading/bad possibly face plugged DOC and incylinder dosing used to clean DOC/DPF... The system would start to plug and call for regen, then not make enough heat to do a proper regen, therefore because system wanted to regen more frequently(because it wasn't getting a good regen) it would dump fuel in cylinder on exhaust stroke(as it should), but not be able to pull fuel in into exhaust properly due to system plugging.... So fuel would wash down cylinder into crankcase.... that was IH's best answer anyway.... Sorry can't help with a leak down test, never had to run one on those and being all feed from same fuel passage, not sure how you would ever separate them... but if you had a cut seal as it sounds like your thinking, putting pressure on fuel rail should bubble somewhere visible.. Seems like mine also bounce around some when running if it is a drastic amount mechanical pump could be at fault or fuel pressure regulator, if you pull filter is there or has there been tiny pieces of spring or parts in bottom of filter housing? if so mechanical pump is probably failing

I definitely don't know all, so maybe someone else has other ideas... Hope this helps..

Edited by - slippert on 09/05/2017 07:14:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would definitely agree with what Slippert is saying. However, if you already have other issues going on with this bus, it could be a combination of things.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  09:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For sure on the possibility of other issues, parts and sensor plugged with soot,carbon, coolant leaking coolers..... IH always loaded up the parts cannon the first five years under warranty...when mine went down..

Edited by - slippert on 09/05/2017 09:59:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea after slippert brought up the regen doc stuff I recall we have had the same issues I was thinking yours was a pre regen year dt466, I see yours is an 08 I would suspect this with that year and or the lift pump (especially since yours wont hold fuel pressure ) would change this 1st
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  06:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. The last one that I had that the fuel pressure was bouncing back and forth more than 20 psi, I replaced the low pressure pump and filter base. It had symptoms from smoke to miss under load.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had the dpf and the doc cleaned about a month ago and i have the bullet proof deisel coolers on it put them on about a year ago and thats when the doc and dpf where cleaned i will look into metal in the filter houseing the housing was change few months ago because the ragular broke due to mecaninc error long story but if the lift pump is bad would that make the heavy raw fuel smell from exhaust y idling
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok this is just my thinking about your issue ***and I could be wrong on this or ***
But I don't think nor have I noticed a faulty lift pump , smell was noticed by me , that being said I suspect a fuel issue injector or pump could go bad or mabey even not up to par and not be able to regen the doc/dpf properly causing the issue in the first place as to why they may have needed cleaned
--I noticed on a bus recently it had a plugged doc was smoking bad serviced cleaned the doc it and once back upon drive at hadn't been started in a while, a injector was bad tested it and replaced them , my thinking was possible the faulty injector or injectors may have caused the doc /dpf clogg issue due to it unable to get enough fuel to regen ?? and you said yours was serviced recently
--the other side to this is yours is making oil which would be to much fuel but possible even with a fuel system fault the bus may be overfueling calling for a regen ***all the time ***due to the dpf/doc never getting cleaned by regen
--based on your symptoms I think you be right even if its not the culprit , at this point put a new pump on it and recheck , again could be wrong just my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i pulled the filter no springd or metal just alot of dirt i pulled the pump off and the oil was very thin and smell badly of fuel gonna replace change oil and filters and see what happens i been thinkin this hole time its a bad injector but i hope i am wrong because it runs great just smells of fuel and its filling crank case and i have no way of checking indivdual injectors and they where changed not that long ago so will see
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the maxxforce have injector o-rings like the older DTs? I have not had the honor and privilege of working on these motors. If so, more likely that than an injector since you said you just replaced them.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never replaced injector on older one but it has to orings on it
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  05:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update i replaced the low pressure pump and took map sensor outit was caked with soot cleaned it out and so far the bus has been doing good for few days its not building oil in the pan will double check it when it comes back from morning run but i am thing it was a low pressure pump causing all of my problems
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok this bus is killin me came in this morning driver complained it was smokin like a chimney and i remember about someone telling me while its smokin to turn on the regen inhibit switch and see if it stops and it did but i dont remember what then the problem was?????
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its a faceplugged doc for sure remove it and have it cleaned , while your at it may want to do the same for the dpf have it cleaned but when it smokes like that its a faceplugged doc we have this often

Edited by - td083 on 09/21/2017 10:40:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  04:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really i just had them cleaned about 8 9 months ago would the leaking low pressure pump into to oil make them clock up again?
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't know for certain but I would imagine if you have a fuel supply issue whether it being injectors or fuel getting to injectors at the proper flow I would imagine it would affect the regen process when driving as the regen basically has the injectors overfuel so the catalyst heats up and works , and or you could have a bad doc as where it doesn't heat up enough to where the raw fuel from the injectors just gets dumped in the exhaust and just comes right out the tailpipe hence the smoke , I have had multiple faceplugged docs though usually see myself alone 1 a month or so on average ....as to why they faceplug my thinking is only speculation at best I'm sure there are other factors or faults that may cause this as well ... would love to go to aftertreatment class for these maxxforce engines I have a lot of questions myself

Edited by - td083 on 09/22/2017 10:36:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  12:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did have a low pressure pump leakin and my fuel pressures was all over place but could be a bad doc as i remember now this bus always smoked the drivers would always complain it would smoke real bad for a few minutes while driving then just clear up then i had them turn the inhibit button on and they said it would never smoke so i took the doc and dpf off both where plugged had them cleaned and was good but that was i think about a year ago and now its doing it again when they get sent out to get cleaned dont they check to see if they are bad i just assumed they would lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000