New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  08:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think about this? In my opinion, it might be correct but what kind of COO are we talking to get there?

https://thomasbuiltbuses.com/clean-diesel-clean-technology/?utm_source=schooltransportationnews&utm_medium=text&utm_content=hmh_stn_text_cleandieselfacts&utm_campaign=tbb_2017_branding_hmh&utm_source=eNews+07.19.17&utm_campaign=STN+Enews+&utm_medium=email

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  08:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If any of those numbers are close to true, it still doesn't take into account the cost of attaining those numbers. It will still cost a fortune to maintain the diesel emissions equipment, making the modern diesel too expensive to operate in spite of any improved emissions. Propane is still my choice.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  06:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

If any of those numbers are close to true, it still doesn't take into account the cost of attaining those numbers. It will still cost a fortune to maintain the diesel emissions equipment, making the modern diesel too expensive to operate in spite of any improved emissions. Propane is still my choice.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Sounds like a move to keep sales up while they develop a viable alternative. As I've said before, Thomas and IC do not have a good alternative yet. But I'm hoping their efforts are successful for the sake of competition.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

busman2014

8 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  11:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit busman2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like Thomas is trying to push that new Mercedes/D5 engine on everyone saying how good the emissions are.
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  11:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it pass the "So What" test? Diesel today is very clean (especially by historical standards). However, people make buying decisions for a variety of reasons and emissions may be on the list but it may not be the key. The whole campaign strikes me as "we don't have a good alt fuel strategy so let's set up a strawman" approach.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic keeps coming up. Wonder if they are getting worried about market share or is their propane engine faltering? I found this statement pretty interesting as well. Fits the propane engine pretty well if you ask me. lol “The fact that all fuel types are now cleaner and comparable to one another in terms of emissions is great news for fleets and fleet managers who are feeling the pressure to decrease their emissions,” said Edgerly. “Now, instead of focusing just on emissions data, school districts can go back to focusing on engine efficiency, reliability, maintenance and total cost of ownership when choosing an engine.”

https://stnonline.com/news/partner-updates/item/9095-think-you-know-diesel-think-again?utm_source=eNews+11.29.17&utm_campaign=STN+Enews+&utm_medium=email

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  07:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

This topic keeps coming up. Wonder if they are getting worried about market share or is their propane engine faltering? I found this statement pretty interesting as well. Fits the propane engine pretty well if you ask me. lol “The fact that all fuel types are now cleaner and comparable to one another in terms of emissions is great news for fleets and fleet managers who are feeling the pressure to decrease their emissions,” said Edgerly. “Now, instead of focusing just on emissions data, school districts can go back to focusing on engine efficiency, reliability, maintenance and total cost of ownership when choosing an engine.”

https://stnonline.com/news/partner-updates/item/9095-think-you-know-diesel-think-again?utm_source=eNews+11.29.17&utm_campaign=STN+Enews+&utm_medium=email

This is what I am in the middle of right now. Comparing maintenance cost/total cost of ownership Gas vs. Diesel. Gas is winning by a long run.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  07:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its just a matter of their parent company having their own diesel engine to promote.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  07:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

This is what I am in the middle of right now. Comparing maintenance cost/total cost of ownership Gas vs. Diesel. Gas is winning by a long run.

What about propane?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

I think its just a matter of their parent company having their own diesel engine to promote.

I agree with that!! lol, it looked like the Cummins was doing pretty good in those illustrations. Maybe even better than the DD5

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this via email today. Still think propane is the better choice. Oh, another question I have; what happens to the particulates in one that is cooked? Does it go into the landfill? Also, how "toxic" are diesel particulates vs. propane particulates? And, a bonus question, what the deal with carbon dioxide? Don't we all exhale it? why is it a bad thing and why does a diesel have less coming out than the others?

https://thomasbuiltbuses.com/bus-advisor/facts-about-fuels/?utm_source=schooltransportationnews&utm_medium=eblast&utm_content=hmh_stn_eblast_nov2017_weblink_factsaboutfuel&utm_campaign=tbb_2017_diesel_hmh

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000