Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC infamous window buzzer [FIX]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simple fix. Take a pair of big channel locks and recurl the handle like pictured. Bending the aluminum piece that it latches to never worked for me. Recurl the handle in 2 spots. It works like a charm.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  08:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I have one that I've replace the entire switch and handle and it didn't last two months before it was doing it again.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A mechanic in our shop came up with a solution to this problem also and it works well for him. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. He takes one of the flat rectangular type pencil erasers and cuts pieces off it to fit between the swing window bottom (or side) and the window frame and glues them in place.. This snugs up the window when you latch it and prevent vibration from popping the latch loose. Claims it works for a couple of years or so before eraser need replacing.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  04:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

A mechanic in our shop came up with a solution to this problem also and it works well for him. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. He takes one of the flat rectangular type pencil erasers and cuts pieces off it to fit between the swing window bottom (or side) and the window frame and glues them in place.. This snugs up the window when you latch it and prevent vibration from popping the latch loose. Claims it works for a couple of years or so before eraser need replacing.

Interesting, do your drivers check the emergency windows on their pre trip and post trip inspections? Ours do. That's what wears these cheaply made handles out.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  05:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the fix with the water pump pliers and it works!! Thanks for the tip!! That comes from me and the driver, by the way!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I tried the fix with the water pump pliers and it works!! Thanks for the tip!! That comes from me and the driver, by the way!

That's good to know. It's saved us from buying more handles, and they're not cheap.
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  10:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Interesting, do your drivers check the emergency windows on their pre trip and post trip inspections? Ours do. That's what wears these cheaply made handles out.
[/quote]

Doesn't matter. I've put new handles on and the buzzer still goes off.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  04:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Same here...

I'm liking the BB Vision E-window latches, those haven't given us any problems yet (fingers crossed).
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  06:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[/quote]

This fix has worked for 5 days and counting. I bought a new handle and it did the same thing after a day. The engineering on these items are lacking.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  09:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are now using a style like Blue Bird (I think it's the same manufacturer actually). Hopefully they do better but they feel flimsy.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  11:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This doesn't damage the hinge? seems like its over extending the hinge and loosening it.

We use small washers to shim out the latch on the bus to increase pressure but it's not a perfect fix. I will try this on a bau and see how it works. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

This doesn't damage the hinge? seems like its over extending the hinge and loosening it.

We use small washers to shim out the latch on the bus to increase pressure but it's not a perfect fix. I will try this on a bau and see how it works. Thanks.

All it does is recurl the handle. Doesn't affect the hinge at all. Recurling it gives it a tighter grip. I've replaced the whole assembly and a week later the same thing happened. I recurled the handle and problem solved.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  05:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

All it does is recurl the handle. Doesn't affect the hinge at all. Recurling it gives it a tighter grip. I've replaced the whole assembly and a week later the same thing happened. I recurled the handle and problem solved.

In the pic he is "squeezing" the handle enough to bend it together slightly. Worked like a champ for me! I'm a hero to the driver now! I fought this darn thing for most of the school year last year.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000