Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 vt365 no power black smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  10:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
---hey all have a 6.0 and has a new jasper engine couple months old
driver came in saying low power once warm , found lower boost turbo was warranty now boost is ok and they also replaced one injector under warranty as well .
--today went out to check and found running great so let idle high over lunch and test drove again it puffs some black smoke here and there , but once I got on a hill it totally fell on its face I let it sit and then drove it up the hill with little issue
don't know why its intermittent only once warm I have checked boost 23lbs , cleaned ebp tube and disconnected to make sure not blocked
installed new ebp sensor , cleaned map sensor , checked airfilter also iat readings look ok
--there are no dtcs and injectors passed fine a little confused at this one being intermittent to fall on its face it will puff black smoke when cold but just a little . Egr valve seems to be working as well , checked charge air cooler tubes connected

Edited by - td83 on 06/27/2017 10:58:13 AM

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the muffle/catalyst? Face plugged?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  1:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea thinking in the am will recheck the egr for sticking i just did the air management test the other day and looked ok , after that i may pull the pipe from muffler and check . from there dont really know where to go have checked and rechecked everything and it was looked at by several others before i got it .
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  3:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Td83...you said something about the turbo...was it replaced or just worked on? A friend of mine had one of the VT365 buses early on and his bus would start smoking black and loose power at random. Then it would run fine. This was when the bus was only about a year old. I can't remember if they told him it was the turbo or injectors, but was thinking that one ended up being a turbo that was getting stuck. Are the vanes in the turbo sticking intermittantly, perhaps?

How are you able to verify the injectors are working right? Buzz test, contribution test, etc? Is it possible for the mechanical side of these injectors to work well and intermittantly not work well? I don't know enough about them to know if that's possible.

As far as face-plugging...is that problem able to produce inconsistent performance or is do you usually have a consistent problem when that happens? I'm just curious for my own knowledge as I've heard of that happening, particularly with the DPFs (although I know this engine doesn't have that), but didn't know how the symptoms usually presented themselves.

Just trying to throw out whatever I can come up with. My only other thought perhaps is bad connection or damaged wire somewhere. However, I would expect that to throw a dtc in most cases.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000