New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  06:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think about this? http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/blogpost/722497/machinist-takes-new-approach-to-school-bus-stop-arm?utm_campaign=School-Bus-Fleet-Blog-20170522&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter&omid=1004440393

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The picture shown of the bus stopped at a T intersection would be an illegal stop in the state of Michigan.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here in CA im pretty sure. Funny, my wife got a ticket for that same thing when she was 16. But cmon, the only way you can reasonably defend with "I didnt see the sign or lights" is if you are perfectly in line and staring striaght at the edge of an extended stop arm. Maybe we should but emergency vehicle sirens on school buses that activate anytime the door is open. :D

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

Same here in CA im pretty sure. Funny, my wife got a ticket for that same thing when she was 16. But cmon, the only way you can reasonably defend with "I didnt see the sign or lights" is if you are perfectly in line and staring striaght at the edge of an extended stop arm. Maybe we should but emergency vehicle sirens on school buses that activate anytime the door is open. :D

Please don't give lawmakers any ideas!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had the police take about this some years ago and it was stated that in court if you are not passing "through" the stop sign, you don't have to stop. Meaning in that picture the car could turn to the right. If the bus was back a little you could turn left. We are also told in Georgia that stops like that are not legal. You must stop 30 ft before or after the intersection.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  09:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the legality here in California, but I know our transportation director wouldn't put a stop like that in the middle of an intersection. He would move it in front or behind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000