New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my first A/C recovery machine. In it was a packet containing a document stating that I must register the machine with the EPA and that I (as the technician) must be certified (take the test) as well. Have you guy done this? If not, why? Just trying to get a feel for this. Of course, any and all opinions are welcome with me. lol

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  07:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I just got my first A/C recovery machine. In it was a packet containing a document stating that I must register the machine with the EPA and that I (as the technician) must be certified (take the test) as well. Have you guy done this? If not, why? Just trying to get a feel for this. Of course, any and all opinions are welcome with me. lol

If its the certification im thinking of, its a quick test that basically makes you, under penalty of crushing guilt, promise not to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. And you get a little card that says you are allowed to charge and recover refrigerant.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  07:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

If its the certification im thinking of, its a quick test that basically makes you, under penalty of crushing guilt, promise not to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. And you get a little card that says you are allowed to charge and recover refrigerant.

I see

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  07:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You take the certification test through ASE online, cost about $15 and is good for life. I have one, but just now looking for it, I have no idea where it is.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  08:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

You take the certification test through ASE online, cost about $15 and is good for life. I have one, but just now looking for it, I have no idea where it is.

This is through a company called MACS (Mobile Air Conditioning Society) Think ASE would be better to go through? I've never been through any of their stuff. Might be a good way to get started. lol At my age and job status, it might be a moot point.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mine through ASE, it's an info packet that has the test attached to it. Basically an open book test for recycling and recovery that meets EPA section 609 requirements. If you have one but can't find it, you can call ASE and have them send you a new certificate. I did and I don't think it cost me anything but that was a while ago. I would get it just to CYA and if anything it's something else to add to the resume.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  12:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I took mine through Macs, years ago..... late 80's ? early 90's?.... around the time the big switch to 134A refrigerant was just getting started... Where I worked at the time we set it up through NAPA, still have the card and was suppose to be non expiring as far as I remember. pretty sure Ken is spot on above on his statement...:-)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

I took mine through Macs, years ago..... late 80's ? early 90's?.... around the time the big switch to 134A refrigerant was just getting started... Where I worked at the time we set it up through NAPA, still have the card and was suppose to be non expiring as far as I remember. pretty sure Ken is spot on above on his statement...:-)

Thanks. This is on the summer agenda.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000