Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Delayed Start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2011 BB Vision and when you start it, it bumps like it's going to start, then pauses for a couple seconds then starts. This is while holding the key down the whole time. Had the starter checked out and nothing is wrong with it. Any ideas on what to look for? I'm afraid it'll eventually ruin the starter.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starter relay maybe? If you had the starter checked then I would assume they checked for loose starter cables.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Batteries is always where I start. Cables, connections and grounds next. Low voltage is not your friend.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  11:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put the starter in myself and rechecked the cables, fairly new batteries and replaced the starter relay. No luck yet.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you probe the trigger wire on the starter solenoid does your meter show constant voltage or does the reading match the delay? weak relay maybe as Joe says. or you could jump the relay and see how it does.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  1:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd hook the DVOM up to the starter and watch to see if the "pause" was mechanical, or electrical and if so, is it the control circuit, or the crank motor itself. I don't have any Visions of that era, so I'm not sure what's between the key and the starter. Key switch, BCM, TCM, ECM connections, relay, solenoid, starter? Likely there is a voltage drop somewhere.

How's the engine running? Any reason you might have coolant on top of a piston? When it "pauses" is the starter trying to work?
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check on the voltage. Once it's started it runs fine. Nothing is happening during the pause as if you haven't tried starting it yet. The starter bumps like it's going to start then stops, but if you keep holding the key down, it starts after a couple seconds. If I put a hot wire directly to the starter it fires right up.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  06:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not 100% sure of an 2011 model but in perv years that is a multiplex controlled circuit. Happy joy there. Follow the ladder logic in the book and run through the inputs and outputs using ur cell phone to either vid or take pics of the lights as you run through them. go from there to see what is the cause either input or output.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check voltage while cranking or trying to crank, at 11 volts it will not send signal to crank. Possibly very close to 11 V and once engaged drops below, and or poor connection
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  03:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the ignition switch

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  06:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can put a test light on the starter wire on the multiplex to start it without the key and it still does it. Between the bump of the starter and it starting everything shuts off for a couple seconds, so there's definitely no voltage at that time.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this vehicle have a remote shut off switch near the battery box? Maybe it's corroded/ loose.
Another thought is to check the relay/ solenoid in the main electrical panel for loose wires or faulty unit. I don't have any 2011 birds, but my 2014s had issues with the power wire to the 70amp relay in the MUX doghouse area. The shrink tubing was too long and it created an intermittent start issue.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  05:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No shut off switch, but thanks I will try that.
Go to Top of Page

nathan

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does your bus have rear or side Vandal lock system? Check the switches for the vandal locks. I had vision that would crank once then shut down the starter. I found that the vandal lock system was supplying the ground to let the unit start cranking, but as soon as the voltage droped the vandal lock system lost it's ground signal to the ignition interlock.

Edited by - nathan on 05/15/2017 3:36:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you waiting for the dash to go through its self test? I had an 08 model that if the the driver didn't let the dash go through its sweep it would do what you say, and sometimes it would hang the starter. We came to the conclusion if you let it sweep it wouldn't happen, it was like the multiplex system wasn't quite awake yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000