Propane Fueling Station
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  08:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On schedule for next school year, pouring the concrete piers for our 12,000 gallon propane tank today. They tell me they need to set up for a week to ten days, then the empty tank needs to sit in them another 30 days before first fill.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  09:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many propane buses before you can justify getting your own fueling station? Just curious I doubt we'll ever get any unless upper management or stakeholders force us to.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know us, we want photos!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  12:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will have four propane buses fueling here beginning this fall.

In rural Iowa if you are going to have propane buses you just about have to have a fueling station on site, could be school owned or leased.

12,000 gallon is kind of overkill for a few buses but we will be able to eliminate the four 1,000 gallon tanks used to heat the school house and be able to save money on the propane by buying a transport load at a time.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  04:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us updated on the project and if you can snap some photos, that'd be great.

I was just approached yesterday by one of my vendors who is now in the LP business. Seems to want to put in a station for us if we bought propane buses. Might have to revisit the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  04:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish posting pictures was easier.
We had a vendor that wanted to supply a 1,000 gallon pumping station at "no cost" but it would of required a five year contract on the LP gas.
As it is now we are buying our own fueling set up and the buses are on a lease/purchase program. Money is always an issue so its hard to switch to propane unless you lease either the buses or the pumping station to get started. Since the school house and bus garage here uses propane for heat it seemed to make the most sense to buy the big tank and our own pump and meter, rather than having a half dozen smaller tanks on site.

Edited by - Fastback on 04/27/2017 06:14:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  05:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 5 buses fueling out of a 1000 gallon tank. It might be interesting as we get more but it's not bad now. Our supplier includes the equipment in the price of the fuel. The price is 1.05, before the 19 cent tax, right now. The 38 cent incentive from the feds is off right now but I think it's a priority to bring it back. Wonder why they want to wait 30 days? That big of a tank may have something to do with it. I know you have to purge any tank of the air, can't imagine doing that on a 12k tank!

What's the state requirements on refueling for your drivers?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  12:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ready to put several hundred gallons in our tank to test and purge the air out tomorrow. All that will be left to do is fence, wiring and crash protection.
Not sure about requirements on drivers to fuel their buses yet.

Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surely the drivers will need to be certified to fuel. Right? Which propane bus did y'all go with?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  05:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two C2s and two Visions on the way. Dealing with two school boards here, so two different purchase orders.

They tell me its now legal to have propane cardtrol pumping stations at the unattended diesel/gasoline fueling sites that are scattered across the rural areas of this state, so I don't know if much certification is really required. The fill nozzle is much more fool proof than what we had 30 years ago.
At my location the drivers are not required to fuel their own buses anyway so we will work our way through things as needed.

Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The industry standard curing time for concrete is 28 days. I can't imagine any reason for 10+28.

We started with about 30 propane buses. We supplied the concrete slab, bollards, in-ground utilities, Veeder-Root system, metering equipment, and data cables.

Our propane vendor supplied the tank, pumps, above ground plumbing, and dispensers, all at no charge. Maintenance for these items is supplied mostly at no charge. The vendor also greatly assisted with planning, permitting, and city approvals. It has worked out well for us both.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000