Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Cummins ISC oil leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  11:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had much experience with Cummins engines and am curious if they have any "common" leaks? I have 2 08/09 Bluebirds with ISC's that are leaking oil from the rear of the engine. It appears to be from the oil pan gasket but all bolts are tight and there is quite a bit of oil around the bell housing as well. I can't afford a lot of down time as I do not have many spares, so I am trying to plan ahead before I start into them. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  12:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure its not coming down from higher? I see some that start to leak around the crankcase breather filter and the drain tube that goes back to the pan. If it is just the pan, does yours have the skinny plates between the bolts and the pan? All the newer ISC's and ISL's have them and I think I remember an old TSB about adding these little steel strips to help seal the pan.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  10:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see anything obvious that is leaking above the pan. There is a tube that runs down to just above the pan that is not connected to anything and has some oil residue at the end. The pan does have the plate that runs between the bolts and pan. Where is that crankcase breather located? The tube runs up to the passenger side of the valve cover towards the back of the engine and connects to a housing about the size of a baseball.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
crankcase breather is inside a housing on top of the valve cover toward the back.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like what i'm looking at. I will check it out when I get some time with it. Thank you for the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000