New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I missed this when it came out. But I was reading the story about the charges brought against the driver and this was a link in that story. What do you all think? I'm not for the restraints because of compliance (meaning that NY says they have 10% compliance and this money could be spent on stability control or other such technology). As for age, I'm unsure. I have a young lady driving and she is very good and thoughtful in her driving. I know this is probably not PC but maybe males can be 25 and females 21. lol, That'll get 'em going!

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/719916/tennessee-legislators-target-school-bus-safety

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  08:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forced retrofit of buses with unspecified restraints?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Forced retrofit of buses with unspecified restraints?

Knee jerk reaction to this tagidy! It's too bad that we can't have cool heads prevail on these things. I would love to see a study on stability control, laminated side windows, seat belts (lap and shoulder), and any other equipment or training that we can think of. When you have limited funds you must make smart changes not changes just because you "think" it will work. The seat belt thing is just something people automatically think of because they work well in cars. People, more importantly legislators, must be educated to know that just because a safety item works in a car/ pickup doesn't mean it will work or be practical in a school bus. How do we get through to people?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  11:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw that when it came out. Bryan, is correct, it's a knee jerk reaction just like gun control and a shooting. I live just north of Nashville and until this week I haven't heard much more about the Chattanooga accident or new legislation. Evidently they officially charged that driver this week and that's been in the news.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000