IC bus won't start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  2:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2008 CE 300 with a DT 466 with egr . This morning driver couldn't start bus . So another driver jumped it and it started . Came back from run cleaned bus up for an away trip and wouldn't start . So used my laptop and got a 1113 DTC . So I cleared it and bus started right up . Took it into the shop and parked the bus went on a bus run came back no start . Same code came up . So what I would like to know is where are the relays for this one ? I looked behind that plate about the engine . I also checked fuses in the battery box . After I did that bus started up . Thanks

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  2:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First of all what is code 1113? When you say it doesn't start, does the engine turn over and it doesn't start? Or the starter doesn't do anything? If the starter does nothing I would check the starter relay which should be located on the firewall. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  2:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It will turn over and the code says it has low voltage to the ECM . Then it shorts out injectors
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This must be a MAXXFORCE7 engine (not the 2004 DT466EGR). By your description it appears that you have a voltage issue and if you moved the wires in the battery box that would be a great place to start looking.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  03:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check all of the wires and connections at the fuses in the battery box all the way up to the relays on the fire wall. Common IC problem. Replace the connectors and or relays if you see any of the sockets and pins that are black or you see any of the plastic starting to melt, replace it.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  04:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like 57fan and RonF said start at the battery box, sounds like a bad connection.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
buy the harness and replace it from the batterys to the relays saves headaches and your done

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  08:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the replacement harness updated or just the same junk?
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  10:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just new junk lol

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  12:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i do believe there is an IDM relay zip tied to the steering column i have had those go bad on me there i believe it also will give i a warning in the display where the mileage is i thing it says electrical fault if that relay is bad
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  1:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found nicks and rubs in the harness following the battery leads. Look for green where they are zip tied. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I checked batteries and fuses . Everything is good there . Now if I hook the charger up too or leave the key on long enough or cycle the key it will start . I have tried wiggling the cables while bus is running and it will stay running . If I shut the bus off let it sit then I have to jump it to get it going . If I try just right with my service max hooked up I can clear the code and then it will start ? Any other ideas ? And thanks for all the input !!!
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  07:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check voltage while cranking, weak batteries?
Weak relays, I think most of our 2008' and even 09's have had all IDM end ECM (on firewall) relays replaced
Put a wrench or socket on main positive and negative junctions on firewall and side electrical panel, have had those appear to be tight but will take a good half turn or more and problems like that go away. Try the last first :)
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  08:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

Check voltage while cranking, weak batteries?
Weak relays, I think most of our 2008' and even 09's have had all IDM end ECM (on firewall) relays replaced
Put a wrench or socket on main positive and negative junctions on firewall and side electrical panel, have had those appear to be tight but will take a good half turn or more and problems like that go away. Try the last first :)

To add, do a voltage drop along the starting circuit. Your loosing voltage and amperage somewhere along the way.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  10:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
May be off the wall but I would check the ignition switch connector we have had problems with these prob not likely issue but worth a look , we have had numerous issues with these but I think power loss when running sometimes we find the connector melted ,
also would pull on batt cables have had some look ok but actually loose and once tugged on comes out from the terminal end .
--And would definitely check voltage drop across the cole hersee switch in the batt box just kinda odd yours starts only when jumped and or long cranks
--and would check or replace the main ecm relays without question first

Edited by - td83 on 03/02/2017 10:57:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if you ever pinned down the issue on this one if so would like to know what it was thanks .
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes I did it is connector to the relays . They hang down by the steering column . They are not strapped down and I think the wieght was causing them to seperate . I lifted them up and bus startted right up .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000