GM LS Lifter/cam failure.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody done any LS engine work? We have suburbans that are used for routes to pickup a few kids on ranches 20+ miles from the school.

This morning one of them, my 2011 (113k miles) came back with what the driver thought was a fan or a/c belt churp. After removing the belts the noise seems to be on the passenger side of engine.

I pray it isn't a bad roller/cam lobe I fear it is. I plan to pull the intake, head on that side and inspect the lifters and cam lobes before proceeding any further. Everything I have read and watched says to do the cam swap with the engine in the truck? I feel that pulling the engine would be less work than pulling nearly the entire front of the truck. UGH!!!!

Anyone done a lifter/cam swap on an LS?

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  2:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a Gm licensed tech for over 20 years. Seen it lots. Not widespread but the lifter is what fails, and yes it needs a cam. If let go too long it will wipe out the oil pump as well. Have done in vehicle. Not too bad other then torQing the head bolts. Pia as they are torque to yield. Make sure keep the dirt out. Dirt along the upper head to block mating area likes to fall into the lifter galleries..
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  04:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CISDbusman

Anybody done any LS engine work? We have suburbans that are used for routes to pickup a few kids on ranches 20+ miles from the school.

This morning one of them, my 2011 (113k miles) came back with what the driver thought was a fan or a/c belt churp. After removing the belts the noise seems to be on the passenger side of engine.

I pray it isn't a bad roller/cam lobe I fear it is. I plan to pull the intake, head on that side and inspect the lifters and cam lobes before proceeding any further. Everything I have read and watched says to do the cam swap with the engine in the truck? I feel that pulling the engine would be less work than pulling nearly the entire front of the truck. UGH!!!!

Anyone done a lifter/cam swap on an LS?

It is most likely a collapsed AFM lifter. Replace them all while you are at it.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000