Any Texas based Trans Directors here?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  04:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't needed a bus driver in many years. When I started I had two ex military guys that stayed with me for many years but now I am in need of a new route driver. My wife has agreed to get her CDL.

Now that Texas is adopting the rules and regs the "national standard" (whatever that is) I have heard that the skills test is a true bear. She blew through her written test but we can't find any real guideline to study for the skills and our local testing office ladies are in the dark also. None of the surrounding Districts have had a driver test out yet either.. Ugh!!!

Its a 150 miles round trip for us to go to the nearest skills testing facility so I am praying she passes her first attempt.

Anyone have any experience??

Edited by - CISDbusman on 01/26/2017 12:43:56 PM

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger here. I am in Illinois and they have just passed, and was supposed to go into effect Jan 1, a law that states that new drivers must get 30 hours behind the wheel with a training facility. No one knows anything about it. We are in the "red headed stepchild" part of the state (the south) and will likely have farther to drive to a "trainer" than your 75 mile route trip. It seems even though Illinois and Texas seem to be far apart, politically and geographically, they are similar when it come to figuring out how to implement laws that their legislature passes. Most politicians haven't a clue. You can seldom get good people to run for office because their name will be ruined. And for what? Nothing. Case in point would be Jeff Sessions. Good man but people don't like him because of his moral view. So, they call him a racist. Nonsensical stuff like that keeps good people out. Sorry, rant over.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I guess the good news here, and really unreal at that, is that you haven't had to train a driver in such a long time!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like having people that don't know what color a school bus is writing the laws on how we train and operate them. Coming soon to all 50 states!
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'am an Instructor in our state. In the past the Department to Public Safety would train the trainers. We would be given information on the inspections and how they wanted it to be done, they would give use the measurments of the backing skills. The Feds found out that they were doing this and came down hard on them. Now they will not tell use anything everything is a secret. Thats the way it is don't expect to get help from the examiners they are not supposed to even talk to you after they have read the instructions and they ask if you have any questions you ask then and it's up to you to complete the inspection. Each skill manuver they read the instructios from a card and every examiner has the same instructions but it seems as if they have different interpretaions of the instructions Hope that you have better luck on getting help than we do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000