Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 '03 International T444E problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccrecelius

3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  07:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ccrecelius's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have an International T444E that i'm having trouble with. It has a stumble, rough running problem that is intermittent. It has an inactive code of PID 164 FMI4, with is ICP low. I have not been able to replicate the problem with my scan tool hooked up.

Does anyone have the trouble tree for this particular code? Or any insight? Thanks in advance.

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  08:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked it is icp out of range low , I would replaced the icp sensor , if you can duplicate the issue regularly I would then unplug the icp as the ecu will default the setting and issue should go away at this point
another thing you could pull the icp connector see if its oil filled in any case , I would replace the icp even if issue cant be duplicated , when I get out of range low that's the ecu saying the icp is sending me a reading that's not possible under these conditions and this is a very ***common failure .
--check of course your icp connector before replacing
Go to Top of Page

ccrecelius

3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit ccrecelius's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response td83.

I didn't have any oil in the connector and the terminals were clean. I was already leaning toward replacing the sensor, however I would like to test the wires prior to but I do not have any International info.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote

FAULT DETECTION/MANAGEMENT

If the ECM detects a malfunctioning ICP sensor or a problem in the ICP sensor circuit, the WARN lamp will illuminate. The ECM will go to open loop control of injection control pressure. (Operate from an estimated ICP pressure.)

Refer to Figure 3.71 for the injection control pressure sensor circuit diagram and Table 3.22 for the connector checks.

Figure 3.71 Injection Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Diagram

NOTE: After removing connector always check for damaged pins, corrosion, loose terminals etc.

Table 3.22 Injection Control Pressure Sensor Connector Checks Connector Voltage Checks

(Check with sensor Connector Disconnected and Ignition Key ON)

Test Points
Spec.
Comments

A to Grd.
0 volts
Signal ground, no voltage signal expected

B to Grd.
5 volts ± .5
V Ref. check with key ON, if voltage not in spec., see V Ref circuit

C to Grd.
< .25 volts
If greater than 0.25 volts, signal ground wire is shorted to V Ref. or battery.

Connector Checks to Chassis Ground

(Check with Sensor Connector Disconnected, Positive Battery Cable Disconnected & Ign. key Off)

Test Points
Spec.
Comments

A to Grd.
< 5 ohms
Resistance to chassis ground, check with key off, if > than 5 ohms the harness is open.

B to Grd.
> 1000 ohms
Resistance less than 1000 ohms indicates a short to ground.

C to Grd.
> 1000 ohms
Resistance less than 1000 ohms indicates a short to ground.

Harness Resistance Checks

(Check with breakout box installed on engine harness only)

Test Points
Spec.
Comments

#19 to A
< 5 ohms
Resistance from sensor connector to 60 pin connector - Signal ground

#40 to B
< 5 ohms
Resistance from sensor connector to 60 pin connector - V Ref

#16 to C
< 5 ohms
Resistance from sensor connector to 60 pin connector - ICP signal

Test Points
Operational Voltage Checks

(+) #16 to (-) #19
(Check with breakout box installed on ECM and Engine (Gray) harness)

Voltage
PSI
MPA
Comments

.15 - .30v
Atmospheric pressure with Key ON and Engine OFF. (Altitude dependent)

1.0v
Minimum required at engine cranking speed 150 RPM

.74 - .81v
425 - 475
2.9 - 3.2
Normal warm idle voltage signal (See Performance Specs.)

1.34 - 1.68v
865 - 1157
6.0 - 8.0
Normal high idle voltage signal (See Performance Specs.)

2.8 - 3.2v
2175 - 2405
15 - 17
Snap accel or full load pressure signal (See Performance Specs)

Fault Code Descriptions

Circuit Faults:

124 = Signal voltage was less than .039 volts for more than 1.0 seconds

125 = Signal voltage was greater than 4.90 volts for more than 1.0 seconds.

332 = Signal above 1.625 volts with engine off. (1160 psi, 8 MPa)

Previous
Next

© 2016 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners.

Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  09:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry was trying to get the figure of the icp connector in there too , the 19, 40 and 16 are the ecm pins of the 3 wires of the icp the grey connector of the ecm one should be 5v one is ground and the other is the icp once you find the ground and 5v you should have it nailed down . hope this helps sorry not to computer savy unable to get the diagram up .

Edited by - td83 on 12/27/2016 10:01:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

ccrecelius

3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2016 :  10:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ccrecelius's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the help and fast reply. I'll post back later with my findings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000