2005 EGR DT466 Multiple codes, Oh My
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  04:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This FE300 was started and backed out of unheated garage yesterday morning, died before it made it out of lot onto the highway and now cranks but will not start. As it was in the single digits and at a remote location all I have done is checked the dash for flash codes. My fingers were numb by the time I got them all wrote down. Almost all relating to the IDM, the 421-428 & 451-458 codes for every cylinder and 500 codes up through 534. Any thoughts before I find time to go look at it again?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to start with the fuse and wiring in the battery box and work your way toward the IDM relay. I don't know the location of them on a FE300. If not there the under valve cover injector harness may be shorted.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  05:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the fuel filter, it may have lost its prime.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  06:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we do also have a 372 code for low fuel pressure

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  09:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You took me way back to my tour in Korea when you mentioned your fingers getting numb. I feel for you guys up north.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  09:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Local forecast is for minus 19 F here Saturday night, glad its not on a school day.

Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  10:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here some info FASTBACK.

By looking at the codes you listed above I will have to assume that you have a DT-466 EGR (inline 6 cylinder) and not a VT365 (V-8). The reason I mention this is your heading as well as the codes you have listed. You should only have DTC's 421-426 for a DT-466 and the same for the 451-456 DTC's. All the codes you listed (except for the low fuel pressure) are Injector DTC's and they are controlled by the IDM.

The first thing I would do it turn on the Key and see if the Turbo Actuator cycles (bounce test). This will verify that the ECM is powering up as it controls the IDM relay to power up the IDM. If the turbo actuators is working (bounce test) then move onto the Fuses and connections in the battery box. If the fuses and connections are good then check the connections to the ECM and IDM relays (located behind the drivers wiper motor access door. If the connections and relays are good then check the IDM Logic Power fuse located in the wire harness on top of the valve cover (10A). Check the Melrose connector (12 pin connector) located on the left side of the engine near the oil dip-stick lever for proper connection. If they are all good then my money is that you had a IDM Driver side board has failed. Seen it happen several times for no apparent reason. This is the high voltage (48V) side of the IDM. If it has failed then you will only need to replace the bottom board and not the entire IDM. The bottom board is available for around $160.00 (give or take). it does not need to be programmed since it is the muscles side of the IDM. Do not forget to check all you wiring from the batteries to the relays to the IDM. This is a royal pain in the butt on a FE-300. Getting the IDM out is a chore in it self. (have patience).

AS far as fuel pressure goes that is not a concern at this point. You need to get the engine running to verify what the actual fuel pressure reading is. It should be in the 65psi range. If it does not get above 60psi and does not hold pressure with the engine off I would replace the fuel pressure regulator (and fuel filter) and recheck.

Let us know what you come up with.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  07:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the run down, you are correct the 450 codes and 420 codes only went up through 6.

Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If your bus is a flat nose the relays are bhind the drivers side wiper door
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took second look at the bus today and found the 40 amp IDM power fuse in the battery box blown and partially melted.

Edited by - Fastback on 12/20/2016 09:36:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  05:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replace the fuse holder or you will have the same problem down the road.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  05:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New fuse holder on order, I am hopeful with a new fuse that I can drive it the twelve miles back to my shop. Thanks all.

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  06:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't even begin to count how many of these fuses and holders that I've had to replace over the years on IC buses.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^What about the IDM relays on the firewall? (IC/VT365)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've done sooo many of those to.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 12/21/2016 09:06:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, have a short jumper wire with and alligator clip to get power from the stud on the firewall to save a tow call or from working on the side of the road to get theses home. Have also used for when starter and ECM relays go bad or the feed to them. I never leave the shop without it and a test light. (not sure if it would work on rear engine though, not familiar with their set up.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000